Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I should've bought a Thinkpad.

Beans

Re: I should've bought a Thinkpad.

Quote Originally Posted by macogw View Post
    R61i 14" Widescreen. It has Intel graphics, so no fighting with binary drivers
    I have an R61i, great machine.

As for people saying they are ugly, they are not. They are well designed. They aren't flimsy shiny things.

I personally find those sort of laptops to be ugly. They look like toys, not computers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

I've had a thinkpad R50e for the last 18 months and it's given me zero problems. I work as a mobile IT tech and it gets dragged in and out of the back of my car every day, bumped and knocked about frequently, and generally used and abused. Personally I like the way it looks, but that's personal preference I suppose. Needless to say, it runs Ubuntu perfectly. I installed Dapper originally and it's been dist-upgraded over time to Gutsy. My next laptop, if this one ever goes wrong, will also be a thinkpad!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

R61i 14" Widescreen. It has Intel graphics, so no fighting with binary drivers
    Ooohhh.. it's quite a good deal. I wish it was there when I bought my laptop; spent $537 on a used laptop that's given me a fair bit of trouble.
    One thousand years ago, superstition and the sword ruled. It was a time of darkness. It was a world of fear. It was the age of.. gargoyles!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

All Thinkpads look like that. Ugly and working v. broken/useless and pretty....I'll take the one that's useful. Computers are for using. if you want pretty, buy some flowers.
    Thats harsh .

But ive used a 3 year old thinkpad and a brandnew dualcore toshiba. Guess which one i'd choose right now ?

THINKPAD, always ready to go, durable, and has only the stuff you need, instead of flashy lights and slim designs with no perfomance/durability at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Wink Re: I should've bought a Thinkpad.

Work on Trains all day long Funny thing is one of the units runs an embedded ******* NT 4.0 and it is always having issues......luckily this unit is not that important for the operation of the train, could you imagine what would happen if the operator got a blue screen of death...LOL.

lank23

Beans

I don't think Thinkpads are ugly at all the have purpose built look kind of like the space shuttle. Its called bento box the design was taken from those japanese lunch box things.

Anyway its a function over style modern type styling that never looks dated.

If you see a space shuttle flight video you will often see the astronauts sitting in front of Thinkpads.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I had a T22 think pad for almost 6 years before it finally died on me. GREAT little rugged computer.

I now own a Lenovo 3000 N100 and love it. Ubuntu worked right out of the box and it's a sturdy machine as well.

I've said it in other posts and I will say it again, for business purposes, the Lenovo / IBM's are the best choice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

So sad that someone linked to a picture of a T43 as being ugly...

I happen to love the looks of my T43. Its black, its not shiny, and its incredibly functional. It gets lugged around in my backpack more often then not. Its pretty much never shutoff (i just put it to sleep). I open it up, it wakes up, I work. No ifs or buts about it.

But yes, you should've bought a thinkpad. Oh well, theres always next time.
    100 buckets of bits on the bus,
    100 buckets of bits,
    Take one down, short it to ground,
    FF buckets of bits on the bus.

Do any newer Thinkpads come with Ubuntu installed? Mom wants a Linux-only laptop in the next few months; she's had Dells before but a Thinkpad might be a better option. She's used to Gnome Ubuntu but I don't know if that would be an issue if they come with another distro preinstalled.

Time to do some surfing.

Edit: Never mind. I just read the other thread about Thinkpads. Cheers, all.
    Last edited by K.Mandla; February 27th, 2008 at 03:21 AM.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    Do any newer Thinkpads come with Ubuntu installed? Mom wants a Linux-only laptop in the next few months; she's had Dells before but a Thinkpad might be a better option. She's used to Gnome Ubuntu but I don't know if that would be an issue if they come with another distro preinstalled.

Time to do some surfing.

Edit: Never mind. I just read the other thread about Thinkpads. Cheers, all.
    My thread?

They come with Suse.

I put Ubuntu on mine, an R61i, and Ubuntu (and others) work perfectly.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast