Thread: New theme engine. "xl_cheeselooks"

Beans

New theme engine. "xl_cheeselooks"

Well, not entirely new. I just took clearlooks, made some alterations to it and renamed it.

I have a handful of ideas up my sleeve I still want to implement. The pixmap engine allows a lot of freedom and creativity to the themer. I want to be able do some of that with code and not pictures.

So far the changes are subtle. Download it and compare the button and button prelights to clearlooks glossy for one example.

get it here:
    http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=73163

A few themes:
    http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=75868

I posted here to try to round up ideas from others. So please critique, criticize, and suggest!
    Last edited by xl_cheese; July 30th, 2008 at 01:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: New theme engine. "xl_cheeselooks"

Do you have an orange version (replacing the blue).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Looks really nice. Is the panel done with a pixmap? If not that looks really nice, though in any case the bottom of the top panel could use a bit more definition. The button prelight and the selected location button both look nice, but could use to look a bit more like one another.

This is unrelated to the GTK theme, but I really don't like the buttons on that Metacity theme. Expecially the X- it looks severely aliased.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by swj View Post
    Do you have an orange version (replacing the blue).
    there is an orange in the theme pack link I posted above.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CarpKing View Post
    Looks really nice. Is the panel done with a pixmap? If not that looks really nice, though in any case the bottom of the top panel could use a bit more definition. The button prelight and the selected location button both look nice, but could use to look a bit more like one another.

This is unrelated to the GTK theme, but I really don't like the buttons on that Metacity theme. Expecially the X- it looks severely aliased.
    good observation on the metacity buttons. I'll have to try to find some that look nicer.

Yes, the panel is done with a pixmap in the gtkrc. I read somewhere that gnome was goinig to make it themeable. Until then...

Beans

Nice work I'm downloading it now and I'll let you know what I think later when I test it, but from what I can see in your screenshot I like it!
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Beans

Cool, another new engine someone else has made.

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=76486

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by xl_cheese View Post
    Cool, another new engine someone else has made.

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=76486
    Btw is it ok that your forum name reminds me of a packet of crisps?

Beans

Is a non source code version for newbies on its way?
    I like this engine personally as its a good fork of clearlooks but there needs to be a non source version
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Well, after some time away I've updated this sucker. Before I quit working on it I had this grand idea to create the first ever dark specific engine. Making sure all the contrast stuff was correct. I still haven't finished it, but I can put it out there if anyone wants to play with it.

It's attached, but you have to make sure to use its default colors. Heck, I'm not even sure why I'm putting it out there. It's not really usuable at this point at all. There are still a ton if widgets in the 'dark' style I need to tweak. I just thought I had stumbled on a good idea since most of the non pixmap dark themes don't work really well.
    Attached Files Attached Files