Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accounting software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Accounting software

Hi People

l'm interested to know whether there is a Linux alternative to Sage.. l might be able to get my wife to start using Ubuntu if there's something available that will allow her to import customers data properly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Accounting software

Seconded, I would also like to know this.

I've already mentioned this on the mailing list, but you can run Sage (flakily) on wine by copying a Windows-installed copy, or even on a virtual machine running Windows. I'd recommend VirtualBox if you want to try this because once they've got the seamless mode bug fixed you can run Windows apps alongside your native windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

BUMP - I'd also like to know if anyone has come across a decent Accounting package that runs in Ubuntu / Kubuntu

Beans

SQL Ledger Has been recomended to be a good solid general ledger. It's written in perl and uses mysql.

Beans

There's also the very comprehensive gnuchash which is similar in goal to quick-books. I've never used it in earnest, but it looks ok, if a bit ugly.

-cybervegan

Beans

I used to use Sage on my Vista machine, but have spent the weekend making the move to ubuntu for the accounting as well.

I tried GNUcash in parallel with Sage for a month or so on Vista, but it just doesn't cut it for the UK - things like the VAT functions are just not up to scratch for here.

I am running Quickbooks now through an XP Virtualbox, and though I haven't tried the online services or remote connection the core programme is perfectly stable and (almost) fully functional (the only thing which doesn't appear to work at the moment is the scripting in the help file, so you have to use the help index instead of just typing in your question)

I have to say, Quickbooksis easier than Sage, and editable so if you make a mistake it's easy to correct (and keeps an audit trail to keep HMRC happy!), and with hindsight I would have chosen it over Sage from day 1.

The only thing to beware is that Quickbooks Simplestart (which is marketed as an alternative to Sage Instant Accounts) only does cash accounting for VAT - you can't store invoices from suppliers or control stock - only record when you pay them. If you want this functionality you can upgrade, but it's about £300 for Pro, which does everything you should need. Even with the price difference i'd choose Quickbooks every time.

Iain

(Not an accountant, but do my own books and VAT returns for my company - www.sinia.co.uk)

Beans

There is a Linux only application called Jalia which is similar to Sage. It's opensource and you can download it from http://jalia.sourceforge.net It needs compiling so I had to get someone to do that for me. It's about the nearest thing I can find out there to Sage whether Windows or Linux based, although I am having problems creating a new company all I can access is the demo companies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quickbooks is the only reason I haven't expunged my computers of Windows. As long as QBs is PC/Mac based, I will need to have a Windows system.
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel Pentium Dual-Core 2 GHz - 2GB Corsair Dominator - 500GB WD Caviar - EVGA 8600GT - Edimax Wireless LAN PCI Adapter - Samsung 22" SynchMaster

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by clanglois View Post
    SQL Ledger Has been recomended to be a good solid general ledger. It's written in perl and uses mysql.
    PostgreSQL, actually. MySQL is not supported.

Beans

i am looking for multi-user accounting and billing software.

right now client is using older version of quicken and quickbooks in a non multi-user mode,
    in VMs.

they need to have linux based multi-user version ... any suggestions?

anybody here using ledger SMB ? or Adempiere?

If so what is pluses and minuses of them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast