Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Overclockers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Ubuntu Overclockers

I have been overclocking for many years but only using Ubuntu (or any Linux distro for that matter) for a few months. Having said that if your an overclocker and use Ubuntu then please feel free to post your specs.

Questions,comments and advice are all welcome and appreciated!

I suggest using a standard format such as Sysinfo to show your specs. Being a noob @ the whole Ubuntu thing any application that you may feel be is better suited please let me know.

I intend to add known overclockers utilities such as stress testing apps, benchmarks etc. that run natively or under Wine to this post so suggestions on those are also needed and welcome.

If your just going to post "overclocking is pointless" or "dangerous" or some such nonsense please keep your comments to yourself. Thank you.

I'll go first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Ubuntu Overclockers

Have you any links and any idea of the gains i could expect with the system spec in my sig

Beans

My main rig runs an E6600 at 3.4GHz (does 3.7, but no need), and a 8800GTS at 600/1500/1000, for a over a year now.. Been using Ubuntu for a good few months.
    [Configuration files]
    Linux IS user-friendly, it's just picky about its friends.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
    Have you any links and any idea of the gains i could expect with the system spec in my sig
    The 3200+ Clawhammer is not known for being a great overclocker. For ideas on it's potential see this link. http://www.hwbot.org/ResultBrowseByP...cpuModelId=253

For a comprehensive guide to overclocking S754 see here. http://icrontic.com/articles/overclo...54939_platform

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

thanks for the links

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

No problem, if you have any specific questions if or when you decide to try your hand @ overclocking feel free to ask me here or come over to extremeoverclocking.com that's where I usually am if I am not lurking about here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What I haven't found so far for Ubuntu is tools for testing your system stability after you overclocked your CPU, RAM or GPU. In Windows theres dozen of them specially programmed for this task, but I don't know any for Linux. I tried to google for it but apperently overclocking under linux isn't a much discussed topic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

+Solace @DeviantArt | Awesome Guide | Beginners Team Member
    Canadian Forces 2007-present

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by bash View Post
    What I haven't found so far for Ubuntu is tools for testing your system stability after you overclocked your CPU, RAM or GPU. In Windows theres dozen of them specially programmed for this task, but I don't know any for Linux. I tried to google for it but apperently overclocking under linux isn't a much discussed topic.
    I to have found this to be a exercise in frustration as well. Orthos Stress Prime will run under wine but stress testing in an emulated windows enviroment really doesn't tell you much. That's the main reason I still keep ******* around, for stress testing,benchmarking and CPU-Z validations.

It seems it is not much discussed indeed. It seems to hold the old and not very accurate stigma that overclocking will damage your components with a lot of people. "overclocking is pointless" or "your CPU will blow up if you do it". I see comments like that all the time in the Linux community.

Quote Originally Posted by ~LoKe View Post
    Very nice LoKe!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

hi there. i've had an asus p5w dh for some time running an e6600 with 2x1gb muskin 800mhz ddr2 ram. i have set the fsb to 333 to acheive a 3.oghz overclock but i can not get superpi32 to run. i dl it from here(ftp://pi.super-computing.org/Linux) i do not understand how to run it. please explain how to run this app and also any other stress testing apps you might think are useful. i do not have wine installed and i do not wish to install it unless needed. thanks for the help
    The Tao belongs neither to knowing or not knowing. Knowing is false understanding; not knowing is blind ignorance. If you really understand the Tao beyond doubt, its like the empty sky. Why drag in right and wrong?
    Nanch'uan

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast