Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 121

Thread: Howto: Movie covers as video thumbnails (hack) (it works for books too)

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Beans
    2

    Re: Howto: Movie covers as video thumbnails (hack) (it works for books too)

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuzem View Post
    Yes, it is possible but it doesn't work well on nautilus. It seems that it doesn't detect transparencies in thumbnails.

    Do this at the terminal:
    Code:
    gedit ~/.imdb-thumbnailer/config
    and add:
    Code:
    theme_name=shadow
    New thumbnails will get the shadow theme.
    thx it`s looking great now



    http://www.imagecross.com/04/image-h...rka-plik-w.png

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Beans
    584
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Howto: Movie covers as video thumbnails (hack) (it works for books too)

    You are welcome and is good to know that the transparency problem is fixed on Intrepid.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Beans
    301
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Howto: Movie covers as video thumbnails (hack) (it works for books too)

    This is absolutely fantastic. My thanks to whoever made and contributed to this fantastic script!

    I was wondering if this also works for folders?
    It works perfectly for normal video files which is fine for movies, but not so much for TV shows. For example I have a battlestar galactica folder which has all the episodes. Is there a way that I can set the folder to have a thumbnail?

    In Gutsy I used to be able to just drag an image to set as its folder icon, but for whatever reason in hardy they have removed the border around a thumbnail when its set as an icon.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Beans
    584
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Howto: Movie covers as video thumbnails (hack) (it works for books too)

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyphre View Post
    This is absolutely fantastic. My thanks to whoever made and contributed to this fantastic script!
    You are welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyphre View Post
    I was wondering if this also works for folders?
    It works perfectly for normal video files which is fine for movies, but not so much for TV shows. For example I have a battlestar galactica folder which has all the episodes. Is there a way that I can set the folder to have a thumbnail?
    I think that there are no file manager that allow thumbnails for folders.
    You could try avatar-factory that does something similar.

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyphre View Post
    In Gutsy I used to be able to just drag an image to set as its folder icon, but for whatever reason in hardy they have removed the border around a thumbnail when its set as an icon.
    That is very strange, normally, the image should be moved or copied to the destination folder.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Beans
    584
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Howto: Movie covers as video thumbnails (hack) (it works for books too)

    I have posted an idea on ubuntu brainstorm that is related to this application. If you like it you can vote for it. Here it is.


  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Arkansas, USA
    Beans
    204

    Re: Howto: Movie covers as video thumbnails (hack) (it works for books too)

    Sounds like a great plan to me, so I voted it up.

    I have a question regarding the movie thumbnailer, though. I have a rather slow laptop, that doesn't like a lot of things running at once. Does this run constantly, looking for thumbnails everytime I open nautilus or does it look for new ones when it sees a new file and saves the thumbnail?

    Sorry for the silly question.
    dnyy in IRC
    #! & ArchLinux
    Last.FM & Twitter

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Beans
    584
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Howto: Movie covers as video thumbnails (hack) (it works for books too)

    Quote Originally Posted by dannytatom View Post
    Sounds like a great plan to me, so I voted it up.
    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by dannytatom View Post
    I have a question regarding the movie thumbnailer, though. I have a rather slow laptop, that doesn't like a lot of things running at once. Does this run constantly, looking for thumbnails everytime I open nautilus or does it look for new ones when it sees a new file and saves the thumbnail?
    It look for new ones when it sees a new file. The thumbnail is saved. Actually, is the file manager (nautilus/thunar) that tells the thumbnailer to make a thumbnail when it sees a file without thumbnail. It work like any other thumbnailer. Nothing is running constantly in the background.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Arkansas, USA
    Beans
    204

    Re: Howto: Movie covers as video thumbnails (hack) (it works for books too)

    Awesome, then! & I forgot to say thanks for making this, it's wonderful.
    dnyy in IRC
    #! & ArchLinux
    Last.FM & Twitter

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Arkansas, USA
    Beans
    204

    Re: Howto: Movie covers as video thumbnails (hack) (it works for books too)

    Sorry to keep bumping this, but it's not working for me. Is there something special the video file needs other than to be named correctly?

    Edit: It seems I don't have a ~/.imdb-thumbnailer/ folder, or a config file inside of it. I tried running 'gedit ~/.imdb-thumbnailer/config' anyway, it opened a blank text editor, but wouldn't let me save what I wrote.

    Should I go ahead and create the directory and file myself, or no?
    Last edited by dannytatom; December 5th, 2008 at 11:30 PM.
    dnyy in IRC
    #! & ArchLinux
    Last.FM & Twitter

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Beans
    855
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Howto: Movie covers as video thumbnails (hack) (it works for books too)

    I'm getting this error

    jarlath@jarlath-laptop:~$ imdb-thumbnailer
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
    RuntimeError: unknown error
    stat: cannot stat `': No such file or directory
    stat: cannot stat `': No such file or directory
    couldn't parse command-line options: Cannot parse integer value '' for -s
    jarlath@jarlath-laptop:~$
    My config looks like this:
    films_path[1]=/home/jarlath/Videos

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •