Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Movie covers as video thumbnails (hack) (it works for books too)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Howto: Movie covers as video thumbnails (hack) (it works for books too)

Are other thumbnailers working? (Sorry for my english)
    For example, what about pictures? Do they get thumbnails?

You could also check in nautilus > edit > preferences > and I don't know how it is in english, previous view or something like that (one tab before the last one in Hardy). There is an option for thumbnails that you can change from "Only on local files" to Always.

Beans

Thanks for not giving up. Pictures have thumbnails, and videos have a thumbnail with a frame / shot from the movie. When I try to update the thumbnail with imdb-thumbnailer, the icon changes to a sort of "changing/thinking" icon, but then uses the old preview again. The terminal gives no output / error on this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It seems that the problem is on imdb-thumbnailer.
    Then, the problem is that imdb-thumbnailer doesn't work on some paths (your other partition)?

Could you post your config?
    Code:
    cat ~/.imdb-thumbnailer/config
    Do you did this?
    Did a dialog appeared?

Beans

This is so stupid. I already noticed that the mount point for my windows partition had changed compared to intrepid. So, I changed that in the config file too. I thought. Appears I didn't, or didn't save it, or whatever.
    Anyway, trying to copypaste my config here I saw the problem. It works again. Sorry for the confusion. Stay happy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Re: Howto: Movie covers as video thumbnails (hack) (it works for books too)

After reading all 94 posts on this thread, I downloaded and successfully installed version 0.7.3 of Yuzem's very nice script into one of my Ubuntu 9.04 systems for a test. In the config file I set:

films_path[1]=/home/username/Videos.

In the "Videos" folder I had two movies: THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL.mkv and FORBIDDEN PLANET.mkv". Note that there are "spaces" in the file names, I normally don't use "_" between words in filenames.

Both files had icons from a random frame of each movie.

I opened a terminal in the Video folder and ran:

imdb-thumbnailer --update THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL.mkv FORBIDDEN PLANET.mkv

I saw no change in the icons - no movie covers. I then looked back at the early postings and noticed a part of a reply where Yuzem stated that file names with "spaces" in the file name might not be correctly found when global search terms are used. However, I hadn't used any global search terms, i.e. "*.*".

Nevertheless, I went back and renamed both file names to include "_" in the file names: THE_DAY_THE_EARTH_STOOD_STILL.mkv and FORBIDDEN_PLANET.mkv.

I ran the the command again with the new file names:

imdb-thumbnailer --update THE_DAY_THE_EARTH_STOOD_STILL.mkv FORBIDDEN_PLANET.mkv

It worked!

So here's my question with respect to using the following command (non-recursively):

imdb-thumbnailer -u /home/username/Videos/*.*

If a person has a film library with file names that have "spaces" in the file names must all of those file names be converted into file names with "_" in the names before this program will successfully retrieve movie covers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlaw View Post
    If a person has a film library with file names that have "spaces" in the file names must all of those file names be converted into file names with "_" in the names before this program will successfully retrieve movie covers?
    no, that should not be necessary...i have spaces in my .avi titles and the command:

Code:
    worked fine for me. although after doing a fresh install of jaunty and carrying over my old /home directory, i could not get some of the thumbnails to laod after running that command. so i first ran the -remove command:

Code:
        imdb-thumbnailer -r /home/username/Videos/*.*
    then followed that up with the -update command:

Code:
    and it worked like a charm.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for the reply Fooman.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlaw View Post
    No, all my films have spaces in their names. I name them with this format: "year - title"
    I did a test, I have two movies from 1960:
    Code:
    imdb-thumbnailer -u Films/1960*.*
    It worked, I am using hardy. The names should be expanded automatically.

Can you try the following?:
    Code:
    sudo gedit $(which imdb-thumbnailer)
    After the first line insert:
    Code:
    set +f
    Save it and try again.

Edit:
    Ok, I read Fooman's post, I hope it works.
    Last edited by Yuzem; May 4th, 2009 at 01:16 AM.

Beans

I noticed you updating thumbnails in terminal, which is fine of course, but maybe you would like to use nautilus. You can make a very easy nautilusscript. Copy-paste this in a texteditor:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    for arg 
    do

imdb-thumbnailer --update "$arg" &

done

Save somewhere. Then (in a terminal) run (each line separately):
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /path/to/script
    mv /path/to/script ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts
    Now in nautilus you can do right mouse button on the file and choose scripts > whatever you named the script and the icon will be updated. Since you develop the need to update the thumbnail when you see it in Nautilus this seemed like a good opportunity for a nautilus-script. It works on multiple files at once if you select them.

Beans

New to the Linux game and very interested in Imdb-thumbnailer, just wanted to know have to get this to work through the proxy at work, any ideas?... tx

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast