Thread: WINE noob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

WINE noob

I was under the impression that WINE would allow you to at least try to run any Windows executable file. I have the Unreal Anthology, and I wanted to make it portable on my laptop as opposed to running it on my much more powerful desktop. I know that the original boxed copies of the respective games had Linux binaries in them (though the box for this game only mentioned Windows, so I didn't get my hopes up). Nonetheless, I tried to install it natively. It says it can't run that type of file. No problem. I install WINE through Synaptic, and try again. It still gives me the same error.

Now, I don't really know what I'm looking at, but it appears that WINE is being told to treat my disc drive like it's the D: drive in Windows, yet when I try to the run the executable on the disc again, it still gives me the same error. How do I get started? Even if in the end, the program doesn't really work.
    My PC (dubbed "73h-B3457"): Athlon 64 X2 4200+, 3 GB DDR400, X-Fi, GeForce 7900 GTX 512 MB, 2x7200 RPM 250 GB hard drives, MX1000 laser mouse, A-4 Tech slim keyboard, 8ms UXGA monitor, 64-bit Windows Vista Ultimate

Beans

Re: WINE noob

So you're just trying to run the installer.exe off the game disc?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: WINE noob

The linux binary can be run by prefixing the name of the linux binary with ./ or copying it to your HD and doing sudo chmod +x on it (both methods are done on the terminal).
    "Some people says that if you run a Microsoft Midori iso backwards you will hear demon voices commanding you to worship Satan". But that's nothing. If you run it forward it will install Microsoft Midori.