Thread: Advice/Opinions on (TransGaming) Cedega

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Arrow Advice/Opinions on (TransGaming) Cedega

Hey everyone!

What are your opinions on TransGaming - Cedega? Is it worth it? Any good/bad experiences? Does it really work? How easy is it to use/install stuff?

I got this off there website:

Cedega works by directly loading a Windows program into memory on a Linux system and linking it to a Linux-optimized version of the Win32 APIs.
    Any security risk? (one of the reason why I moved to Ubuntu is that Linux is generally more stable/secure).

I'm not a heavy gamer and the only games I play are more then 4 years old and some common windows apps.

(Btw. I've used wine and I wasn't too impressed! The only 2 apps I managed to install successfully were adobe photoshop cs and foobar2000. everything else failed.)

Your opinions are greatly appreciated!!

Thx in advance.
    ABH
    Specs: Acer Aspire 5633WLMi | Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 (1.66GHz) | 2GB DDR2 (dual-channel) RAM | Nvidia GeForce Go 7300 TurboCache 256 MB | BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX | Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG wifi | Ubuntu 11.04 x32 | Windows 7 x64

Beans

Re: Advice/Opinions on (TransGaming) Cedega

Its worth is directly related to whether it actually runs the games you want to play. There is a wiki, the URL of which I cannot recall, that lists all the games and each game entry contains comments on whether the game works effectively with Cedega. Someone else might give you the URL to the wiki or you could try googling around for it. Read the sections for each of your games and then you have a better idea of whether its worth using Cedega.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific, but I'm typing this when I should be in the shower getting ready for work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Why don't you list the games you play and the Windows apps you want to run? Then at least someone can post on their experiences with those apps with Wine, and you can decide yourself whether getting Cedega is worth it.

Moved to Gaming and Leisure.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Hmm, for me I've never found a game that runs in Cedega and not in Wine, and quite a few games that won't even run or even install sometimes that work just fine in Wine. Although Cedega is easy to use and is more stable than Wine for some games.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

My opinion is that I don't want to pay a monthly fee for games that I already paid for. And Wine has gotten to the point that it is about as good as Cedega in a lot of cases.

You can pay the up front fee for Cedega, then cancel your subscription and still be able to use it. But you won't get updates, which means no new game support.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

bad experience, just look at the cedega forums for 5 minutes and you will see what I mean. not only are they dead, but they are lined with the corpses of incompatibility and false advertising

seriously though, I bought the game to run oblivion, a game they use as a featured game and have screenshots of it running on their site...i run the game on full settings in windows but on cedega it runs like crapola. cedega also seems to be infamous for their use of wine code as a base for their app but they do not give anything back to the wine project itself...also look when the last real update was to the project compared to wine and crossover office...insanity.

check into crossover games, the new thread floating on this forum. sounds like a better alternative to what cedega is offering now. I bought into the hype about cedega and really regret it.
    Last edited by grimdeath; March 11th, 2008 at 03:03 PM.
    "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome." -- Isaac Asimov