Thread: Soliciting suggestions for Ubuntu promotion

Beans

Lightbulb Soliciting suggestions for Ubuntu promotion

I am a tech support person, and (yuk) my employer is almost exclusively a windows shop. Starting shortly after the launch of Vista, a steady stream of complaints and fearful inquiries began coming in, such as, 'I just got a new home computer, and it has Vista on it. We aren't going to start using it here at work, are we?', and so on.
    Despite the marketing hype, the overwhelming tone of the comments is not positive towards this new 'operating system'.
    As a loyal convert to Linux beginning in 2000, and a faithful supporter of Ubuntu since Dapper Drake I am considering a presentation of Gutsy to my co-workers, in order to raise the level of awareness for some of them. I recently built a new system (which I am using now to compose this), and loaded the 32 bit version. Having an AMD 64 3200+ processor, I went ahead and also loaded the 64 bit version, and have not had a single problem with it. In fact, I printed up a flyer after hooking up my Epson Stylus C82 without even thinking about driver issues. I plugged in the USB connection, and about 30 seconds later, it notified me that it was ready to rock and roll. which it did. The plug and play performance even impressed me.
    I am good friends with many of the folks at work, and would love to share this wonderful experience with them. I think I could get the conference room, and a projector, and I am willing to bet that there would be plenty of 'ooohhs and aahhs' when they saw the desktop cube, wobbly windows, and the over 23,000 free downloadable applications there for the taking.
    I am looking for some constructive suggestions from anybody that has done something like this.
    What has been effective or useful, and what should I steer clear from?
    Feel free to email me directly, or reply here.
    Thanks!!!!
    Google is your friend...Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala 64 bit Foxconn WinFast 761GXK8MC-S AMD 64 3200+ 1 GB DDR2, nVidia 8500GT
    Production platform - Intrepid 64 bit 8.10 ASRock ALiveNF6P Phenom 9600 2GB DDR2 GeForce6x and Beryl/Compiz/Desktop Effects

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Soliciting suggestions for Ubuntu promotion

Just for clarification, are you trying to get your employer interested in Linux or make your co-workers aware of Linux?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by boredandblogging.com View Post
    Just for clarification, are you trying to get your employer interested in Linux or make your co-workers aware of Linux?
    Co-workers. My employer is hopeless.
    Google is your friend...Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala 64 bit Foxconn WinFast 761GXK8MC-S AMD 64 3200+ 1 GB DDR2, nVidia 8500GT
    Production platform - Intrepid 64 bit 8.10 ASRock ALiveNF6P Phenom 9600 2GB DDR2 GeForce6x and Beryl/Compiz/Desktop Effects

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I know that my teenagers are always bragging on their Feisty pc because even tho it has half the resources of my XP, it starts up and gets online in less than a 1/4 of the time it takes the xp.

Another thing. I used to have to remove a nasty spy or trojan about once a week (thanks to myspace and other fun teen sites), since I pushed them onto the 'buntu pc's, its been almost 2 years and not one we've noticed.

Those have to be pionts that anyone can appreciate.

Have a good Day

Danielle

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adMOMistrator View Post
    I know that my teenagers are always bragging on their Feisty pc because even tho it has half the resources of my XP, it starts up and gets online in less than a 1/4 of the time it takes the xp.

Another thing. I used to have to remove a nasty spy or trojan about once a week (thanks to myspace and other fun teen sites), since I pushed them onto the 'buntu pc's, its been almost 2 years and not one we've noticed.

Those have to be points that anyone can appreciate.

Have a good Day

Danielle
    Thank you, and I have included security on the 'pluses' page.
    If my son started bragging about his Feisty, though, I'd upgrade to Gutsy if I hadn't already done so, and then brag about how much better it is.
    <G>