Thread: Slackware with gnome instead of KDE?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Slackware with gnome instead of KDE?

I'm on a vacation right now, but before I left I downloaded and burnt the slackware .iso's (disk 1 and 2) but never had a chance to install them. I did have one question, I don't like KDE, I've always found it a bit too flashy, and I liked the more simple look of Gnome. Is it possible for me to have slackware not install KDE and later download and install gnome? Or will I need to install everything and manually remove KDE before installing gnome?

Beans

Re: Slackware with gnome instead of KDE?

You don't have to install KDE. Just deselect the KDE package series when you reach the following screen during installation:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

What he said, and...

http://www.droplinegnome.net/
    100 buckets of bits on the bus,
    100 buckets of bits,
    Take one down, short it to ground,
    FF buckets of bits on the bus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If you have the space, keep the KDE packages and just use another desktop, like xfce. You'll have things like k3b (really, despite brasero's strides, the best graphical burning application out there) available to you, and a nice gtk-based desktop environment. Or go get dropline, or gware.

After Pat dropped gnome from the official slackware release (I guess around 10.1) was when I first really started trying the alternatives to KDE (several of which are already installed by default in slackware) and that's when I fell in love with xfce. Having an older machine that ran xfce faster than kde helped of course, but it is a nice system that can be set up to look pretty much exactly like gnome, and your gtk apps won't look out-of-place (if that kind of thing bothers you).

All of that said...I of course have tried the gnome solutions for slack and found that gware's is a bit less intrusive, but they all make some changes to your system, and even at that they're pretty harmless and do things really well.

Beans

Hi,

Good to see a potential slackware user:

Quote Originally Posted by Romanus81 View Post
    I'm on a vacation right now, but before I left I downloaded and burnt the slackware .iso's (disk 1 and 2) but never had a chance to install them. I did have one question, I don't like KDE, I've always found it a bit too flashy, and I liked the more simple look of Gnome. Is it possible for me to have slackware not install KDE and later download and install gnome? Or will I need to install everything and manually remove KDE before installing gnome?
    I have always used xfce with slackware 12, I suggest you try this before looking at 3rd party gnome offerings.

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi,

Good to see a potential slackware user:
    I have always used xfce with slackware 12, I suggest you try this before looking at 3rd party gnome offerings.

Andrew
    Yes I prefer Fluxbox but thats mostly b/c its one of the more minimal ones and I don't like having crap on the desktop, or well a desktop at all really 8). I would also recommend, where available to use the DVD install of Slackware, as it is much easier and I've had problems with the CD's lately.