Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 66

Thread: Pointers, standards, schools, Bond...James Bond, Sex, and other Programming Stuff

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    60°27'48"N 24°48'18"E
    Beans
    3,440

    Pointers, standards, schools, Bond...James Bond, Sex, and other Programming Stuff

    Quote Originally Posted by aks44 View Post
    In C++, "naked" pointers should usually not be used but for passing parameters in very specific cases.
    "Use of naked pointers is discouraged as they may cause unexpected side-effects" sounds like something out of "sex ed for geeks"... if geeks ever had girlfriends, that is. And they wanted to "pass on their parameters".

    </CptPicard's bad humour day>
    Last edited by CptPicard; February 15th, 2008 at 06:45 PM.
    LambdaGrok. | #ubuntu-programming on FreeNode

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Beans
    927
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

    Re: Can someone help me employ the concepts of pointers in C++?

    Quote Originally Posted by CptPicard View Post
    "Use of naked pointers is discouraged as they may cause unexpected side-effects" sounds like something out of "sex ed for geeks"... if geeks ever had girlfriends, that is. And they wanted to "pass on their parameters".

    </CptPicard's bad humour day>
    Right, naked pointers in C++ are the geek equivalent of STDs...

    /coat
    Not even tinfoil can save us now...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Beans
    14,781

    Re: Can someone help me employ the concepts of pointers in C++?

    Quote Originally Posted by aks44 View Post
    Right, naked pointers in C++ are the geek equivalent of STDs...

    /coat
    But I like standards (that is what STD means to me)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Beans
    14,781

    Re: Can someone help me employ the concepts of pointers in C++?

    Quote Originally Posted by CptPicard View Post
    "Use of naked pointers is discouraged as they may cause unexpected side-effects" sounds like something out of "sex ed for geeks"... if geeks ever had girlfriends, that is. And they wanted to "pass on their parameters".

    </CptPicard's bad humour day>
    Careful...

    Some geeks do have girlfriends (but I have yet to meet one), and not all geeks are male.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Portland, Or, USA
    Beans
    289
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Can someone help me employ the concepts of pointers in C++?

    There were quite a few female geeks at HIP in 1997... And I would imagine that quite a few of the geeks there had girlfriends.

    I would also point out that you don't actually have to be male to have a girlfriend...

    Of course, I'm married, and have a wife who describes what I do for a living as "geeky stuff".

    Z.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Portland, Or, USA
    Beans
    289
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Can someone help me employ the concepts of pointers in C++?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    But I like standards (that is what STD means to me)
    And (showing my age again) I always think that STD means Subscriber Trunk Dialing.

    Z.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Beans
    927
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

    Re: Can someone help me employ the concepts of pointers in C++?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    But I like standards (that is what STD means to me)
    Oh my... please, please don't elevate raw pointers in C++ to a standard... You're trying to make me cry, ain't ya?


    Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    Some geeks do have girlfriends, and not all geeks are male.
    Looks like you're implying that female geeks can't have girlfriends... Be careful LaRoza, you're on the edge with that kind of remarks...


    /coat (again) now looking for some dark place to hide meself


    EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwack View Post
    I would also point out that you don't actually have to be male to have a girlfriend...
    Damn you beat me to it
    Not even tinfoil can save us now...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Beans
    14,781

    Re: Can someone help me employ the concepts of pointers in C++?

    See what you start CptPicard?

    (It was funny though, just nitpicking)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Beans
    14,781

    Re: Can someone help me employ the concepts of pointers in C++?

    Quote Originally Posted by aks44 View Post
    Looks like you're implying that female geeks can't have girlfriends... Be careful LaRoza, you're on the edge with that kind of remarks...


    /coat (again) now looking for some dark place to hide meself
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Careful...

    Some geeks do have girlfriends (but I have yet to meet one), and not all geeks are male.
    I admit to being a geek, and that geeks can have girlfriends.

    I made no such implications that female geeks can't have girlfriends.

    (And there is no dark corner to hide in, I see all)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Portland, Or, USA
    Beans
    289
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Can someone help me employ the concepts of pointers in C++?

    Let me see...

    The use of the phrase "not all geeks are male" is either a non-sequiter or is related to the naked pointers remark... Female geeks can have naked pointers just as easily as male geeks. Thus the assumption that either you had produced a non-sequiter or that you were implying that female geeks can't have girlfriends...

    And if this isn't over analysis then...

    Z.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •