Thread: Steam Keyboard Issues

Beans

Steam Keyboard Issues

Hey folks,

I've installed cedega on Ubuntu and I've been trying to get Half-Life 2 to work. Surprisingly, it works pretty good now; the main menu works, sounds works, and as far as I can see it has a pretty decent framerate.

Of all the problems I expected to find while trying to get HL2 to work (sound, 3d card, pixel shaders, directX, etc) the one I'm experiencing now is pretty damn stupid. You see, the keyboard doesn't work in HL2. HL2 and Steam(!) don't appear to have keyboard focus. So whenever I press a key, like up or down, the event that is generated is triggered at any of the other applications I have running, even when HL2 is running at fullscreen. My mouse, however, works perfectly fine. So, after the G-man tells me to wake up, I am left to look around in the train, unable to move

Also, Starcraft, which I'm also running with cedega, doesn't have this problem at all.

Any help to get my keyboard to work in Steam and HL2 would be appreciated.

Beans

Re: Steam Keyboard Issues

does hitting escape do anything?

Beans
    Hidden!

If you go to the options (before loading the level) and try to change the keyboard keys, does it work there? I haven't experienced this problem on Steam through Cedega.
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans

None of the keys work, not even in the main menu where you are able to bind keys. I found this thread that discusses the issue and offers a workaround:

http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/...=1490&forum=10

The workaround involves running HL2 in a window. This works, but it isn't quite as fun to play the game in a window as it is in fullscreen. I tried the new version of Cedega, Cedega 4.4, but the problem remains. Does anyone know of anything else I could try?

Beans

i can get steam to run, and login, but when i try to run a game i get an error message saying that the game isn't aviable right now

Beans

The keyboard worked fine for me when i first upgraded to 54. from the original wine version that came with ubuntu... Then installed the new update for wine which i was spectable about since there might be bugs didnt want to screw up my current settings but i gave it a shot. then i go back hoping it works and they keyboard doesnt work still!