Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [SCRIPT] Easily (un)mounting ISO images without sudo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: [SCRIPT] Easily (un)mounting ISO images without sudo

Quote Originally Posted by #!/bin/bash View Post
    The Kubuntu version will probably work on any KDE based distro. I have checked it on Slackware-12.0 and VectorLinux-5.9 and they both work.
    Thanks for checking this! I'll update the first post.
    Mount ISO/MDF/NRG with right-click to your desktop

Do NOT do or even type "sudo rm -rf anything" or "rm -rf anything", if you're not sure what it'll do.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi all, I've added some minor improvement for this script, which are:
    • Automatically removes the desktop shortcut after restarting the computer.
    • Enhanced the "tmp" directory structure so won't clash with multiuser mount.

For you who have downloaded the previous version, please redownload the "fusemounter.tar.gz", extract and replace the 2 files from previous version, and follow the "Installation" instruction step number 5. EDIT: Oops, forget to mention, please unmount all ISO files before you update the fusemounter.tar.gz.

For you who are new user , just follow the instructions from the #1 post.

For complete changelog, refer to #1 post.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Milk & Toast & Honey; March 8th, 2008 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Oops, forget to mention to unmount before update.

Do NOT do or even type "sudo rm -rf anything" or "rm -rf anything", if you're not sure what it'll do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

This works nicely for me. I think I made a couple of tweaks to the script, but I don't remember offhand what they might have been. I played around for a while to see if I could read the autorun.inf file on the CD (if it existed) and display the appropriate CD icon, but some CDs don't have a something.ico file, but instead use a resource inside the exe file (if it's an ISO for a Windows app). I suppose that I could go ahead and make it work with ICO files anyway.

UPDATE: I re-read a note in the script, function autoremove_desktop_file():
    Code:
    # according fuseiso manual, we can get the info about 
    # the mounted fuseisos from ~/.mtab.fuseiso, but I don't know
    # how to convert ' ' (space) to \040 notation from ~/.mtab.fuseiso or
    # /etc/mtab, nor how to `grep`-ing `mount` output, so I made one 
    # temporary file from the `mount` command output
    I just took a look at my .mtab.fuseiso file, and it already has the \040 encoding for spaces. But I'm not sure you'd need to worry about that, because I've got a quick line to parse the output of mount:
    Code:
    mount | grep -i "$i" | sed -e 's/fuseiso on //' -e 's/"$i".*/"$i"/'
    At any rate, here's my modification of autoremove_desktop_file():
    Code:
    autoremove_desktop_file() {
    for i in $HOME/Desktop/*.fusemounter.desktop
    	do
    		if [ -z $(mount | grep -i "$i" | sed -e 's/fuseiso on //' -e 's/"$i".*/"$i"/') ]
    		then
    			rm "$i"
    		fi
    	done
    }
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by red_five; May 12th, 2008 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Adding note about a comment in the script.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I've taken the liberty of exporting my Nautilus Actions configurations for the three actions you mention in the initial post. Everyone should be able to import these config files into their own Nautilus Actions panels, assuming that the script is in ~/bin/fusemounter/*.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I wish in a future Ubuntu distribution Nautilus would have this 'right click' mounting functionality installed by default. That would make it much easier to use for new users.

Beans

Hello, I use Ubuntu Hardy (8.04) and nearly everything works !
    But (yeah there's a "but") there are no desktop icons when I mount an ISO image. I tried with several ISO and rebooted many times but I can't see the shortcuts on my Desk...
    Could someone help me?

(I also hope this tweak will be integrated in Ubuntu 8.10..!)

Beans

This script is wonderful, thanks man!
    I'm missing the last picture for the session modification (should be http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=511ob7.png). Is it just me?

EDIT: yes, it was just me. Couldn't open the picture on imageshack. Can see it now.

Rekado
    Last edited by rekado; May 15th, 2008 at 07:18 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

red_five, thank you for your suggestion and the attachment. I haven't tried your suggestion yet, but it looks promising , and we don't need to create a temporary file anymore.

Peter Great, I agree with you, I think it would be nice if the default nautilus has this functionality. And, AFAIK, many people already implement that functionality through scripts, but I never seen any of those script included in linux distribution, at least not in SuSE 9,10 or Ubuntu.

Attentah, I just upgraded my machines to Hardy (from Gutsy) today, I got the desktop shortcut shown, although it's not working like in Gutsy, e.g. the ISO content isn't displayed, showing this message: "There is no application installed for this file type". But it did mount though, so I think there's some changes the way nautilus handles the *.desktop files. I'll investigate this as soon as I have the time.

rekado, yes, that is the image for the session modification. I changed my desktop themes recently, but forget to revert back to match to the previous pictures, sorry for that confusion.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Howdy all...

I've updated the script for Ubuntu Hardy 8.04.

If you're using Hardy and want to use this script, please follow the instruction and download the fusemounter-hardy.tar.gz, otherwise, the fusemounter.tar.gz will work for previous version of Ubuntu.

If you already install this script and want to upgrade your machine to Hardy, simply download the fusemounter-hardy.tar.gz and extract it (overwrite the previous installation). No additional steps required.

For complete changelog, refer to #1 post

Thank you.

PS. Feedbacks are welcome guys, please do post comments if you're using this script .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Attentah View Post
    Hello, I use Ubuntu Hardy (8.04) and nearly everything works !
    But (yeah there's a "but") there are no desktop icons when I mount an ISO image. I tried with several ISO and rebooted many times but I can't see the shortcuts on my Desk...
    Could someone help me?

(I also hope this tweak will be integrated in Ubuntu 8.10..!)
    Attentah, I've updated the script, please download the fusemounter-hardy.tar.gz.

Does the update fix your problem?

PS. I would be happy to assist you or anyone to fix the problem that may exist regarding the script installation / usage.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast