Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Official autokey thread, and call for devs/users

Beans

Official autokey thread, and call for devs/users

Hello, I'm the autokey dev. In case you're curious what autokey is, here's a video demonstration and download link: http://autokey.sf.net/.

The good news is I've made a new 0.31.1 release which has a number of niceties:

• Can turn voice off by specifying 'voice = no' in the [config] section of the abbr.ini file.
    • New placeholders, put %% in an expansion to indicate where you would like the cursor placed after expansion
    • Arguments, use abbrv~arg and place %s in an expansion to have whatever single word is typed after the tilde be inserted

The BAD news

I can't work on it anymore until the summer. I hate to abandon whatever users I currently have, but I just flunked a midterm . I love this project but I've been putting off things I have to do for it...so...

This is a shout-out to anyone with some rudimentary Python skills. I could use a maintainer in my absence who'd be willing to cleanup the code and bring the project closer towards its goals. Some of the initial goals are:

• International Keyboard Support
    • Example gui front end of somekind. However, I don't want it implemented in autokey.py. I would like instead some sort of IPC so autokey.py can communicate to any number of front ends
    • Possibly a macro recording feature.
    • Massive code cleanup , the project's a mess because it was hacked together as a proof-of-concept. There are functions which take parameters that aren't used anymore, encapsulation of responsibilities among the functions is pretty darn bad.

If anyone's interested, get in touch with me somehow, either via the thread, or via the sourceforge page.

Beans

Re: Official autokey thread, and call for devs/users

Hello Peabody,

I am new to Linux and miss AutoHotKey. I downloaded AutoKey but get thisr:
    Error: Dependency is not satisfiable libc6
    libc6 is installed on my system.

How can I fix this?
    Last edited by LOBONCA; March 9th, 2008 at 05:51 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LOBONCA View Post
    Hello Peabody,

I am new to Linux and miss AutoHotKey. I downloaded AutoKey but get thisr:
    Error: Dependency is not satisfiable libc6
    libc6 is installed on my system.

How can I fix this?
    Are you on a 64-bit system perchance? If so, you'll have to rebuild the deb from the source tarball. Download the tar, extract (http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...6191#downloads) and run debuild from the extracted folder. You may have to install the debian developer tools:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential devscripts debhelper
    If everything goes smoothly, a nice x86_64 deb will get built in the parent folder. You should just be able to dpkg -i that package or double click it to have gdebi install it.

If it's not the case that you're on a 64-bit system then that is indeed a strange error and I wouldn't have a good idea what would cause that sorry.

[Edit: just in case you do get a 64-bit package up and running, could you do me a favor and attach the deb to the thread? I can then post it the sourceforge release page, thanks].
    Last edited by peabody; March 9th, 2008 at 06:43 PM.

Beans

hm... sorry for (maybe) dumb question:

will it work with (g)vim and, if yes, how to (dynamiclly) turn it on/off

Beans

Well, gvim already has this feature . The scroll lock key toggles expansion on and off, so I take it you'll probably want the program off while you're in gvim.

Beans

I love this program already, as writing a piece of software like this is something I came up with as an idea around 6 months ago. Unfortunately, I haven't programmed since the days of BBC Basic!

Is there any chance you could make it so that I can run it without the qwerty/dvorak dialog popping up (perhaps hack this into a commandline option?), and without asking for sudo access?

I'd like to basically autorun it at boot, so I don't have to remember to run it every time...

Also while I understand that its only a proof of concept right now, I have plenty of ideas that I would love to throw into the pot. Let me know if you'd like to here what I envisioned way back when.

It would be desperate shame to see this stop here.

Beans

It won't stop here, but I've just been so incredibly busy (it's midterms right now). I'm hoping over the summer that I'll have a lot of time to spend on this project.

If you need the program to run at login, put an entry in session control panel for 'autokey.py'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

yes, i'd like to help out as well with the development if i can. In the TODO list you mentioned having a blacklist for expansion keys. I propose a whitelist where the expansion is executed ONLY IF a certain string is matched from the title window. For example I would like to have the same abbreviation but different outputs based on which program or website i'm in.

PS how do you terminate the program from running? like if i want to modify the ~/.abbr.ini and relaunch it to activate the new changes?
    Last edited by nhasian; May 8th, 2008 at 04:08 AM.

Beans

killall autokey.py

Feel free to play with the source code and let me know if you get anywhere. I'm still swamped, but June is fast approaching...

FYI, the program dynamically reloads .abbr.ini, you don't have to relaunch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

duh i should have known that. Hey do you have a bugtracker set up for autohotkey? I'm finding it very versatile and useful, but i'm running into bugs as well. for example, i dont think you can use numbers in the abbreviations. like:

hello1 = hello world
    hello2 = hello universe

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast