Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Sopcast with GUI and sop:// URLs

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question HOWTO: Sopcast with GUI and sop:// URLs

Sopcast

EDIT: There is a new and more up to date howto using Chromium and the sopcast-player here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1609505

This guide will help you install sopcast on Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy. It will also help you get a special modified version of the GUI running and setup firefox to send sop:// links to the program.

Installing packages

Make sure you have all universe and multiverse repositories switched on. Then, in terminal:

sudo apt-get install qt3-apps-dev vlc build-essential

Downloading the latest SopCast binary

Link: Sopcast ix86 binary

Unzip it and cd into that directory using terminal. Then run:

sudo cp sp-sc-auth /usr/bin/sp-sc

Downloading and building the latest GUI

Download this specially modified source package. I have added URL handling.

Link: RKMOD version of QSopCast

Aga*in, unzip it and cd into that (src) directory using terminal. Then run

sudo qmake
    sudo make
    sudo make install

This should compile the source and install the binary into the correct location.

Creating a menu shortcut

Go to System / Preferences / Main Menu... then 'Internet' and 'Add New Item'. Give it the name "QSopCast" and command "qsopcast". You should now be able to launch from the main menu.

Setting up the GUI

Once the gui is open, goto config then config again. Make sure that the player settings are all set to "vlc" and that the channel URL is set to "http://www.sopcast.com/gchlxml"

You should now be able to watch sop casts by selecting a channel, launching it and then hitting player when the stream is at 100%

Firefox sop:// URLS

Go into firefox and enter URL: "about:config". Right click, select new and string. The string name is "network.protocol-handler.app.sop" and the value is "qsopcast". It should now send sops to the modified version of QSopCast ready to be launched.
    Last edited by ryukent; November 9th, 2010 at 10:39 PM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Sopcast with GUI and sop:// URLs

Awesome.

Thanks very much.

Charlie

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ryukent View Post
    Sopcast

This guide will help you install sopcast on Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy. It will also help you get a special modified version of the GUI running and setup firefox to send sop:// links to the program.

Installing packages

Make sure you have all universe and multiverse repositories switched on. Then, in terminal:

sudo qmake
    sudo make
    sudo make install

This should compile the source and install the binary into the correct location.

Creating a menu shortcut

Go to System / Preferences / Main Menu... then 'Internet' and 'Add New Item'. Give it the name "QSopCast" and command "qsopcast". You should now be able to launch from the main menu.

Setting up the GUI

Once the gui is open, goto config then config again. Make sure that the player settings are all set to "vlc" and that the channel URL is set to "http://www.sopcast.com/gchlxml"

You should now be able to watch sop casts by selecting a channel, launching it and then hitting player when the stream is at 100%

Go into firefox and enter URL: "about:config". Right click, select new and string. The string name is "network.protocol-handler.app.sop" and the value is "qsopcast". It should now send sops to the modified version of QSopCast ready to be launched.
    Your instructions are impeccable; Thanks!

Beans

Question Re: HOWTO: Sopcast with GUI and sop:// URLs

Quote Originally Posted by ryukent View Post
    Sopcast

Installing packages

sudo qmake
    sudo make
    sudo make install

Creating a menu shortcut

Setting up the GUI

I followed above instructions(plus and now I have Sopcast, QSopcast,GSopcast etc.
    I can see channels list, after I click 'launch' it connects, buffers to 100%, but clicking 'player' doesn't open media player window (I modified 'config' settings, but neither vlc nor mplayer opens).
    Do I need '.wmv' codecs for these media players?

EDIT:Oh, I think the problem was in codec, it is working fine now, thanks a lot.
    Last edited by udh; March 13th, 2008 at 09:09 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I think it depends on the codec that the channel is being sent as. But tbh, VLC should launch anyway. Can I confirm, channel is at 100% and player button is pushed down (and stays down). Player setting reads "vlc" and "Enable Autorestarting Player" is ticked in config??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Many thanks I follwed the instructions and the sports test channels come up and start buffering.

sop from firefox url click

However when entering live footy http://livefooty.doctor-serv.com/index.html and clicking on an stream, it pops up sopcast is not installed. I ignored that and just hit the play live stream same result.
    Yes i did all the instruction including adding gsopcast to firefox config and restarting firefox.

Some examples on how to get something working would be nice as I am new at sopcast.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ahh.... you're using livefooty... It doesn't point to sop:// links. Instead they've got a special plugin that launches sopcast only on windows systems. Use http://www.myp2p.eu/ instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

i use myp2p to watch ice hockey live, only the pop up links don't seem to work,

the links point to brokers similar to:

sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/33952

and qsopcast loads up fine, it's just i don't get the stream at all. i can click on the channels in the channel list and they work fine any idea?

thanks in advance

Edit: i juyst needed to click launch sorry mate!!
    Last edited by Andeh; March 13th, 2008 at 01:18 AM. Reason: My own stupidity :)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yeah, the channel will be inactive by default and you have to click on the launch button to initiate the stream. Also, it sometimes does take some time to fully load. It's probably worth pointing out that not all channels work all of the time and particularly the channel list server seems to go down regularly.

If you are having trouble connecting to a channel, first check if you can get through to one of the major ones on the list. If you can then it's likely that your system is set up correctly. Maybe the particular channel you want to connect to is down. Perhaps the link you are following is old.

If you cannot get the channel list to work, it's probably a temporary thing because the load can get massive. Try using a link from a website instead. If you're waiting for an important show at a time when the system is likely to be very busy, it might be worth saving the link elsewhere. Even if the channel list server goes down, you can connect to an individual channel if you know its exact link.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    i use myp2p to watch ice hockey live, only the pop up links don't seem to work,
    What, you haven't been banned by the power hungry admins like PKCable yet?? How odd.

Op I gave you thanks.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast