Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Stable Linux Distro?

Beans

Re: Most Stable Linux Distro?

Right now I'm using Gentoo. Uptime is 25 days. I only kill X from time to time to free some memory; same with Firefox. In my opinion Gentoo is more stable than Debian Testing, can't say about Stable.
    I think that depends more on the administrator's knowledge. I've used Debian Testing for a little bit and I've never encountered a stability issue. With Gentoo, unless you read closely about the updates and apply them regularly, you won't have a stable system if you update blindly. Of course, I don't use Gentoo, so use some salt.

Beans

When one asks of stability Debian comes to mind for me. I've had good experiences with CentOS as well but Debian is always my first choice.

And I wouldn't consider Ubuntu stable. Stable enough for most users, sure but I've had problems with it before.
    Registered Linux User # 437006
    http://sidux.com/ - K Desktop Environment (Debian Sid)
    MasterShaper - Network traffic under control

Currently listening to

Beans

A toss up between Slackware and Debian, both are well known for their reliability.
    Gentoos pretty solid too
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

well....pss..gentoo? got some problem with their administration thingy eh?I read in desktoplinux.com I think

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by angryfirelord View Post
    If you mean "Stable" as in "Stable enough for the desktop user", then pretty much any distro that doesn't use bleeding edge packages will suite you fine, which includes Ubuntu, openSuSE, Slackware, Debian Testing, etc.
    I know this is old, but I'm currently exploring the same question. I have to disagree (politely) with the statement above. My Ubuntu 8.10 has all sorts of problems, just that they mostly go un-noticed.

Pulse Audio breaks and/or is buggy
    gnome session manager breaks
    nvidia freaks out
    compiz is the buggiest piece of $#!% on the planet
    dbus has issues

It is VERY frustrating to research the errors I see in syslog and find that these errors have existed for quite a long time in launchpad, across multiple releases.

My feeling is that Ubuntu releases never get a chance to mature. (except perhaps the longer term releases, of which I think Hardy Herron is one, but I suppose the errors I'm seeing in Intrepid are not fixed on Hardy Herron either.)
    --
    Regards,
    aBitLater

Beans

i've had very little trou ble with arch, but i have a minimum setup (less installed, less to go wrong).

Beans

Slackware, Debian and Arch are usually very stable distros.

Beans

i wonder which is the most unstable distro (not that there's anything wrong with that...).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chucky chuckaluck View Post
    i wonder which is the most unstable distro (not that there's anything wrong with that...).
    Fedora IMHO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

A stable installation is one that isn't updated often once everything is set up and running.
    make install - not war!

Oh hai!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast