Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of my first try in Inkscape?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

What do you think of my first try in Inkscape?

I've been fiddling around with Inkscape and managed to make a person waving saying "I did it!". I'll probably use it for my website somewhere, but I want some comments first.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Current distro: Kubuntu 11.04 + KXStudio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What do you think of my first try in Inkscape?

It's nice, perhaps you should create a deviant art account and join the rest of us inkscapoligists there.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans
    Hidden!

i think that's pretty fantastic. i love the idea of vector graphics but i don't really get it.

Beans

That's pretty good - not that I know anything about Inkscape. Wouldn't you use GIMP to draw a picture like that? What's the idea of Inkscape... I've never used it

It sounds interesting.

Beans
    Hidden!

Inkscape draws using vector graphics. I'm probably not the best person to explain this, but my basic understanding is that normal pictures (jpegs, pngs, etc) draw based on picture. Each dot respresents a specific color. Vector graphics is based on mathematical equations. You can open a svg file in a text editor if you want. The advantages of SVG is that the file sizes are smaller and that they are 100% scalable without any loss of quality. The disadvantages is that it's harder (or so i've heard) and that there is less detail (usually).

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Since were talking about inkscape and first times at it, what do you think of mine?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Might as well jump in on the first time Inkscape fun

Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

I figured I'd add the proper definition of pixel-based and vector-based programs. Personally I use illustrator (adobe) for vector-based drawings, even works on linux (wine of course!).

Pixel programs like the gimp or photoshop use squares, or pixels of colour to make up an image. if you shrink this image, it uses less squares to make the image. so now if you took this shrunk image and stretched it back to its original size, it'd look very blury because its trying to expand from the limited number of squares the shrunken image had.

Vectors on the other hand are based off mathematical equations, esentially lines. This means at 5x the orignal size, or .2x, its all the same.

That said, theres alot of + and -s to each.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What everyone is calling pixel or "normal" images are really called raster images.

Vector images are built up from positions and instructions for how and where to draw lines, fill shapes, shade and do other things.

Although I use inkscape instead of Adobe Illustrator because inkscape has better svg support.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I've never really tried to draw pictures with Inkscape. I've always wanted to, though. I use it for drawing diagrams like this: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:CNO_Cycle.svg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast