Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Comments on new sticky "** All about the Thanks feature **"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Comments on new sticky "** All about the Thanks feature **"

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Gumpp View Post
    Less than half the number of persons prepared to view this latter thread can possibly have read the Sticky!
    This surely calls for a sterner response from the Forum Administration. Carrot and stick, .
    I can confirm from my own observation that the stickies tend to be somewhat less visible than the body of a forum. I do not know why this is so. At times, it takes me several visits to notice that the stickies have been changed while I see the changes in the body at first glance.

I do not think that sterner responses by the Administration would be really helpful. We already have half of the 'carrot and stick' in place. It seems that - in addition to the sticky - we have to invent the carroty.
    ch
    In Switzerland we make it other
    with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by popch View Post
    I can confirm from my own observation that the stickies tend to be somewhat less visible than the body of a forum. I do not know why this is so. At times, it takes me several visits to notice that the stickies have been changed while I see the changes in the body at first glance.
    One reason for the view count differential is very straightforward: people usually only look at a sticky once. I have read the sticky in question once, whereas I have viewed this thread dozens of times.

I'm assuming here -- without knowing for sure -- that the view count mechanism counts unique visitors per 24/hrs. Since your initial post was over a week ago, it's probably counted me a good 8 or 9 times already.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

It may well be that your respective very erudite responses may be correct with respect as to how the site records views of, for example, (dare I say it?,) Stickies, (may the Deity forgive), BUT...

and there is always a 'but', isn't there?...

.....I have carefully watched the aftermaths of my own visitations of threads and sites which I may singularly or multiply have revisited on this forum, and in no case have I detected any increase in the number of views seemingly recorded after I have once first visited.

DO PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG, if wrong I be! I have no inside information as to how the Forum works, but my strong impression is that once visited, that's it, so far as automatic records of site visitations are concerned.

Can anyone say me nay?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Gumpp View Post
    It may well be that your respective very erudite responses may be correct with respect as to how the site records views of, for example, (dare I say it?,) Stickies, (may the Deity forgive), BUT...

and there is always a 'but', isn't there?...

.....I have carefully watched the aftermaths of my own visitations of threads and sites which I may singularly or multiply have revisited on this forum, and in no case have I detected any increase in the number of views seemingly recorded after I have once first visited.

DO PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG, if wrong I be! I have no inside information as to how the Forum works, but my strong impression is that once visited, that's it, so far as automatic records of site visitations are concerned.

Can anyone say me nay?
    People do tend to ignore the stickies, unless directed to them.

I have, at one point, replaced the stickies with links to some wild sites but no one noticed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

LaRoza,

Loved the idea of your replacing the Stickies content with wild sites from time to time. . Too bad it was BMT. (Before my time.)

Here is another wild site you might like: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=711065

I am trying to help, I really am. You can bank on it!

PS The Sticky view count has risen from 113 to 136 as I post. I am unable to assess whether this represents an increase in the rate of viewing since I posted on the subject of comparative view counts in this thread one day ago.. (Post # 28) What was the actual date and time you posted the Sticky?

PPS The cooley is a glitch. The post was number twenty eight. If I type the numeral eight I get a cooley. This is no laughing matter!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234