Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Use BlueProximity and your cellphone for security

Beans

Re: Howto: Use BlueProximity and your cellphone for security

This program does work, however it only gives me a signal strength of '0' or '255'. Nothing in between those two... The problem with that is, that I can walk outside to the garden, and my desktop won't lock... Is there a way to get a value 0>...<255 ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I love blueproximity, but it has on occasion failed to detect my return. I would like to run a small script as a cron job to restart it hourly to see if that remedies the issue.

But, how does one stop 'proximity.py' in an automated way?

Beans

when i chose to the lock screen manually from the menu or the panel and have my cellphone close, it automatically unlocks the screen.
    I want to be able to lock the screen manually and have my phone close to the computer and have Blueproximity unlocking the computer only when Blueproximity has lockt it, is it possible to achieve this?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is perhaps a bash question, but I've been trying to add a couple things to the rhythmbox script for blueproximity. Specifically
    1. Open my to-do list
    2. play a greeting tune

The problem is that the to-do list (when closed) starts the screensaver lockout again, and then re-opens the todo list and replays the greeting tune.

Any help appreciated. the little script is below. I've never even attempted any of this before and I just don't quite get it.

If anyone knows how to, I'd also like to add time dependent items to the script: between 9 am and 5 pm only open the todo list, after 5 auto-open rhythmbox and start playing, etc...

Thanks in advance!

KYLE

#!/bin/bash

# Unlock the screen (default BlueProximity)
    gnome-screensaver-command -d
    # Let's resume Rhythmbox
    rhythmbox-client --play --no-start --notify
    # Play Welcome Back File
    play /home/username/Desktop/GMMMP.wav
    # Open To-Do List
    gnome-open /home/username/file/ToDo

Beans

I'm having problems getting my iphone 3g (3.0 OS) working with blueproximity on Jaunty 9.04. I have blueman installed, and I used it to pair my phone with my computer. It pairs correctly and a connection is established. Blueproximity sees the connection, and reports proper distance levels. I can even see the distance number grow as I move the phone further away.

The problem comes in when I separate my phone from the computer for the 1st time, or turn the iPhone bluetooth off. When the phone is back in range (or on), blueproximity toggles between distance 0 and 127. My iPhone bluetooth settings show "not connected". If I instruct my iPhone to connect to my pc, the connection is established and blueproximity starts to detect a proper distance level.

What is strange, though, is I installed ubuntu on my work mac book pro. Blueproximity works flawless on it. I take the phone out of range, screen locks. Bring the phone back in range, screen unlocks.

I've tried 2 different bluetooth adapters (Broadcom 0a5c:2101 & Cambridge Silicon 0a12:0001) and both behave the same. I've inspected my syslog, but I don't see anything wrong there. I even tried a fresh 9.04 install on a blank hard drive, all with same results.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on or how I can debug this further? Are usb bluetooth adapters really this sketchy under ubuntu? Do I have to keep buying new adapters until I find one that works?

Thanks a lot.

BTW - I did notice something interesting in my macbook pro ubuntu syslog: kernel: input (my iPhone mac) as /devices/virtual/input/input18. What is this all about?

Beans

Has somebody succeeded in using android combined with blueproximity?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Really nice feature. However, for some reason the connection quite often drops a while after walking away from my computer, which results in not being able to automatically unlock Jaunty (it does always lock itself and if I return shortly I don't experience any problems, though, so I guess the connection only drops after a certain time). After typing my password to log back in I shortly notice the BlueProximity tray icon showing there's no connection, and then the 'key' turns green (and a message shows up on my cell saying it connected to my PC). Does someone perhaps know where to start debugging this? I've tried setting all visibility options to 'visible', but that didn't solve anything. It works perfectly when I try stuff out in simulation mode, so I guess it has something to do with locking the session or something..

Beans

You might want to lower the unlocking duration to something like 1 or 2 seconds if you haven't already.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by yzf600 View Post
    You might want to lower the unlocking duration to something like 1 or 2 seconds if you haven't already.
    Yeah, already did that, but I don't think that's where the problem lies because when I use my password to log back in, the BlueProximity tray icon says there's no connection and it's trying to establish one (it generally succeeds a few seconds later, but as you can imagine it's of no use at that point anymore ).

Beans

Hello guys, just got this working but when I'm watching videos with SMPlayer in fullscreen, my monitor turns off randomly (pausing blueproximity stops it) even when my phone is right near my bluetooth dongle.
    I have the locking/unlocking/proximity commands set up like this:

gnome-screensaver-command -l && xset dpms force off
    xset dpms force on && gnome-screensaver-command -d
    gnome-screensaver-command -p

I'm guessing one of these is the problem, I just copied and pasted from the first post, not entirely sure why it's happening!

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast