Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Use BlueProximity and your cellphone for security

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Howto: Use BlueProximity and your cellphone for security

I've noticed that even when I set the time down to 0 it still takes a good 20 seconds for the machine to lock. This is when I just switch the bluetooth off on my phone. Also it seems to always find the phone even when I set the range down to 0, admittedly this is in my apartment, but I am placing the phone a good 20 feet away. Anyone else having this (minor) issue?

Beans

Working great with my Nokia 7600 (RFCOMM Channel 9).
    Great how to, thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Works great on a Samsung D600 using channel 7
    Very cool, Thanks!

Beans

i have my phone paired with my pc which is currently running hardy 64 bit. The program doesn't detect my phone even thou it's paired with my computer. Any ideas?
    amd 4-core cpu,dual geforce gts 450 in sli mode, 8 gigs of ram. / on 80 ssd drive, home on a 1tb sata drive, 4 tb sata drives for storage

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hells yeah. I've been looking for something like this for awhile! Confirmed working on a Samsung a900m after setting the channel to 5 (the "OBEX Push" channel).
    Last edited by mjamesd; March 11th, 2008 at 07:27 AM.

Beans

Hi there,

I am pleased to see so many active users of my software. For those not working I would like to invite you to file a bug on Sourceforge.net or in Launchpad. It seems that most problems can be solved. I know that there are only very few really incompatible devices.

General hints:
    if blueproximity does not see your phone it is most likely an unusable rfcomm port. On some phones these ports will be closed very fast if no traffic or none of the expected traffic is seen. Therefore that port appears to be usable in the scanner but it is not. Try a different port. Few devices will show this on every port, if you think your device is one of those please drop me a line which bluetooth adapter and mobile device you have.

If blueproximity only gives you a zero for the distance at all distances it might be your bluetooth adapter not giving back reasonable results on the signal strength parameter or your mobile's bluetooth device is REALLY strong and you would have to move it to a big distance. My old nokia gave me nice results with lock distance set to 4, my iphone now needs 10, just as an example...

I hope this helps a bit.

Bye
    Lars

Beans

Cool idea - once I find some more time I will look if I could make something like this.

Bye
    Lars

Beans

i have to phones that this cool app doesn't c for some odd reason
    1st phone motorola razor only a couple of months old
    2nd phone lg chocolate phone
    amd 4-core cpu,dual geforce gts 450 in sli mode, 8 gigs of ram. / on 80 ssd drive, home on a 1tb sata drive, 4 tb sata drives for storage

Beans

so you don't see any usable channels with them? If so, did you try the manual way:
    Do a "sdptool browse" in the terminal and find the channel marked as "object push". Select this channel in BlueProximity preferences. This should do the trick.

Beans

this still working on ubuntu 7.10?

or there is better solutions?

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast