Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: andLinux - Linux and windows kernel merged into one seamless desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: andLinux - Linux and windows kernel merged into one seamless desktop

I kind of like it. I'm kind of stuck using Vista at my office, and this gives me familiarity with many of the Linux programs I prefer to use.

I know a lot of people who would be willing to try this long before they load a live CD (slow as crap to get started) or install a second OS (requires rebooting every time ... which means they wind up using Windows all the time).

Ideally, yeah, they'd go to Linux by default and use Wine or Windows only when needed. In reality, people are much more apt to try something if they know they can simply uninstall it if they don't like it or use it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dougsnell View Post
    I kind of like it. I'm kind of stuck using Vista at my office, and this gives me familiarity with many of the Linux programs I prefer to use.

I know a lot of people who would be willing to try this long before they load a live CD (slow as crap to get started) or install a second OS (requires rebooting every time ... which means they wind up using Windows all the time).

Ideally, yeah, they'd go to Linux by default and use Wine or Windows only when needed. In reality, people are much more apt to try something if they know they can simply uninstall it if they don't like it or use it.
    +1

Now, I have a question. How do web servers see this? If I run Konquerer on Vista does it show up as Konquerer on Vista or Konquerer on Kubuntu?

It's a bit slow for my tastes, but then again, I didn't give it all that much RAM during the install...and I am running Vista, where nothing runs as fast as it should.

I don't think I have any use for this on a daily basis, except maybe using evolution instead of Outlook at work. Despite there being a Windows version of Evolution, I can't get it to work.
    I am not a lawyer...yet.
    Music Manumit Podcast - remixable Creative Commons music!
    My neglected blog: http://douglasawh.wordpress.com
    My website: http://opensourceplayground.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Just tested, it shows up as Linux. Looking over it I think it is almost like a Virtual machine with a seamless setup more than a compatibility layer.

If Wine worked this well I think we would have a lot more people using it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Might be a good intermediate step when moving people from Windows to Linux - get used to the new, still have the old for security (personal security, not computer), handhold for a little while...
    Registered Linux User #457788
    Richard: "Darren, everybody cries when they get stabbed. There's no shame in that." Slings & Arrows

Beans

I suppose this could be a new thread, but has anyone seen activity similar to:

I'm not really noticing any performance degradation, but I'm concerned about the life of the processor if it's getting hit like that all the time. Is that just because coLinux has as much power over the kernel as Windoze and Vista doesn't know what to do about that? I'm just curious. Thanks!
    Last edited by DouglasAWh; February 28th, 2008 at 07:57 PM. Reason: fixing img link
    I am not a lawyer...yet.
    Music Manumit Podcast - remixable Creative Commons music!
    My neglected blog: http://douglasawh.wordpress.com
    My website: http://opensourceplayground.org

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SupaSonic View Post
    I'm reluctant to try it - it's too much windows for me. I wish I had an icon in my gnome dektop to launch windows apps or games. As it stands, i have pretty much the same with Xming, cygwin and ssh with X forwarding to a Linux machine.

Still an interesting idea I guess.
    Yeah I would like to see this reversed. I would like something like this to run some windows apps on Linux without needing a whole virtual machine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123