Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: andLinux - Linux and windows kernel merged into one seamless desktop

Beans

Re: andLinux - Linux and windows kernel merged into one seamless desktop

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Some of you may misunderstand. It's not for Linux users. It's made for Windows users. It's kind of like putting a Linux compatibility layer in Windows so they can run our software.
    Windows users actually wanting to run Linux software? Isn't that normally the other way around? =p
    Quote Originally Posted by *snip*
    I love it when people stop trying to help me and I just uninstall ubuntu because of it . . .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by notwen View Post
    Windows users actually wanting to run Linux software? Isn't that normally the other way around? =p
    Actually I really wish I could run linux programs in windows. To bad this doesn't work with 64 bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Post Re: andLinux - Linux and windows kernel merged into one seamless desktop

Well, in my work I'm using Xp; but I wanted to use and test Linux. The servers are Debian or Solaris, so I want a *NIX enviorment to test server installations.

I've tried VirtualBox and VMPlayer, both are great ( I like the first more, but they've their strengths and weakness )
    But AndLinux have conviced me.

It's a coLinux Ubuntu; a VM of Linux totally integrated into a Windows system.
    Easy to install, runs as a service ( automatically or manual ), with rootless apps. Synaptic, console, Firefox, Thunar without problem.
    The speed and performance are impressive.

See more:
    Wikipedia ( sorry, only spanish and german for now )
    Life Hacker
    SlashDot

As more adaptable is Linux, more will be used and expanded.

Pd. later I also tried Wubi to make a non-destructive linux install, I like it a lot, too.
    SkarLoKo

Beans

Smile Re: andLinux - Linux and windows kernel merged into one seamless desktop

It's pretty good, actually. I just installed it yesterday, and i must say I'm impressed with it. Whether we like it or not, some people have to use Windows for whatever reasons, and this gives us a very good, extremely functional, alternative. I had tried kde4 for Windows and Cygwin before, but AndLinux is much better.

Moved to Other OS Talk.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

It looks very intersting, as noted above it seems more like Wne than a Virtual Machine.

Downloading to my Work computer now

Beans

not tempting, probably will catch on newbies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I don't think it's for newbies. I think it's more oriented towards developers and people who actually need Windows for working. I think so far this is the best idea I have seen. I would prefer it the other way round though, allowing people to use Linux Window Managers (perhaps it's even possible) for example. In general I prefer the Unix environment much more than the Windows one.
    I'm hopefully not gonna need it, but I'm impressed anyway

Beans

not tempting, probably will catch on newbies.
    I don't think so. Wubi, yes, but coLinux/andLinux, no.
    This is really cool though. I read up on coLinux a while ago, and the only catch back then was that that it was *complicated* to set up, so this is certainly a welcome surprise. At last i can run amarok and bash in windows.
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

It took a bit to get it to start up...it decided to run a disk check on my Windows partition when it first boot.

From what I can tell, it is a service in the background that loads a Linux kernel that is then accessed by the applications. It installed a network device that is used by the apps for X.

Once booted everything runs very quickly, and there is a good amount of integration with the Windows OS via a SAMBA share. I still have not gotten it to connect to the network yet.

I do not see much use for it though, be a developer or web designer could get some good function from it.

Edit: Just got it on our work network. Had to put our DNS server into the config and the correct proxy address.
    Last edited by Calash; February 27th, 2008 at 10:27 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast