Thread: How to get help or ask questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Arrow How to get help or ask questions

Zimbuntuans,

Please try to avoid contacting me or other members privately when requesting support. This is not because we don't want to help - quite the opposite in fact.

If a message is posted privately to me, the answers/assistance you receive will be limited to my personal knowledge and experience, thereby defeating the object of a "community". Secondly, if I happen to be on holiday (not likely, but still....) then you could be waiting quite a while before you receive a response. Secondly, if I am the only person you have asked, you have no guarantees that I am supplying you with the correct answer.

For those reasons, it is far better (and strongly advised) to make public posts when requesting assistance or information. This will ensure that a much larger number of people see your message and you are more likely to receive a prompt and useful response. It is impossible for one person to know everything in all areas of Ubuntu, so while I might not be able to effectively assist you in a certain area, there is very likely someone else on the forum who can. And lastly, if I supply you with any incorrect information on the forum, I am likely to be corrected quite quickly by someone who might know better, thereby ensuring that you receive the correct answer to your problem as quickly as possible.

Thanks for your understanding.