Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Installing Adobe Digital Editions using WINE

Beans

Re: Installing Adobe Digital Editions using WINE

I got the ADE installed on my desktop. I am unable to open it. What is wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

No offense, but that's kind of like yelling, "HEY, WHAT COLOR IS THE SKY RIGHT NOW??" But you haven't told us where in the World you are.

Are you saying the program doesn't launch at all, or are you saying that you cannot open any .acsm files on your computer?Give

What version of Ubuntu are you using? What version of WINE are you using? What version of ADE are you using? Do you have Flash/Air installed? (I can't remember if either of those are required as I'm doing this from memory and am not on my Ubuntu computer right now).

Are you trying to run it from a desktop icon that the installer created, or from within the WINE console? If the former, try running it from within WINE instead to see if that launches the program.

The last time I tried using ADE, I was able to install the program, HOWEVER, the interface was basically blank without any mouse pointer due to some issues with the way it was running under the Unity desktop. I don't remember the specifics because I eventually got a Windows laptop and install programs that way, or directly through Overdrive, on my Android tablet.

Give us some additional details, and perhaps someone will be able to help you better.

Good luck!!

Robert
    --------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by MHK99 View Post
    I got the ADE installed on my desktop. I am unable to open it. What is wrong?

Beans

Sorry about that. I now have installed Winetricks and reinstalled the ADE. I am happy to say that it is working and I can read my books.

BTW i am running Ubuntu 13.04 on an Intel core 2 duo triple install with Windows 8 in one HDD and Ubuntu in another and Mint Olivia in a USB HD.

Thanks for the comment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Talk about a necroposting... Is the original post still relevant?

It might be more useful to start a new thread if you are asking questions or start a new thread if somebody is interested in a new "howto" for Adobe digital versions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by codyhilton View Post
    Here is the current Digitial Editions .exe file directly on Adobe's website:

http://www.adobe.com/support/digital...tions1x7x1.exe
    Thanks. This worked perfectly using a wine install. What is nicer is that the when I downloaded the book from Dover in linux, ADE came up automatically, and displayed the book.

MountainX is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I installed version 1.7.2 of Adobe Digitial Editions in Ubuntu 12.04. I registered my computer successfully with Adobe. But I cannot download my purchased ebook (using the .acsm file). I get error #2038. Anyone know of a solution for this error? (I get the same error in both wine and Crossover Linux.) Newer versions of ADE do not work in wine, afaik.
    Desktop: KX Studio (Kubuntu 12.04)
    Laptop & Netbook: Kubuntu 12.04
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Phone: Nexus 4 Cyanogenmod

MountainX is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by texaswriter View Post
    Talk about a necroposting... Is the original post still relevant?
    Yes, it is relevant because it comes up first in a Google search. I think we should learn from newer sites like StackExchange and keep the relevant stuff together in one thread especially one that has good Google visibility.
    Desktop: KX Studio (Kubuntu 12.04)
    Laptop & Netbook: Kubuntu 12.04
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Phone: Nexus 4 Cyanogenmod

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Awesome, this is what worked for me!

Quote Originally Posted by twisted_steel View Post
    These are the (slightly different) steps that worked for me in 10.10.

1. Plug in the nook and it should auto-mount to /media/nook.
    2. Open the Wine Configuration tool (Applications->Wine->Configure Wine) and click on the Drives tab.
    3. Find and click on the drive mapping for /media/nook. In my case this was the I: drive.
    4. Click the Show Advanced button and from the Type drop-down, select Floppy disk.
    5. Click Apply and leave the Configuration window open. In my case, whenever I clicked OK or closed the window, it would not save the settings. This could be an issue on my end.
    6. Open Adobe Digital Editions and the nook should appear in the list.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789