Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scheduled recording: file unavailable!

Beans

Scheduled recording: file unavailable!

When I try to watch a scheduled recording i frequently get the error message: "recording unavailable, the file for this recording cannot be found" and sometimes the recordings work just fine. Can someone tell me how to debug this?

Live TV always work, and it also records as I watch.

The file is missing in my recordings directory (/var/lib/mythtv/recordings). I watched that folder as the recording started but it doesn't appear. Is the file recorded to another folder and then moved to it's correct location on completion?

I see no errors in the mythbackend.log:
    TVRec(1): Changing from None to RecordingOnly
    TVRec(1): HW Tuner: 1->1
    Started recording: ...
    TVRec(1): Changing from RecordingOnly to None
    Finished recording

I checked the database record for the recording the filesize field is 0.
    Is it possible that some autoexpire function wipes the file directly after it has been recorded?

My tuner card is Hauppauge NOVA T-500 (two channels).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Scheduled recording: file unavailable!

Do they show up in the recordings list? If so when you try to play does it say file is unavailable? Try restarting the backend and recheck. Easy way is exit frontend, go to sytem and select mythbackend setup, then exit, no need to run mythfill database, and then open mythfrontend see if the recordings appear.

Wondering if you have the same problem as me.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=697445

Do you have just one machine running backend and frontend or multi machine setup?
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Beans

Yes they show up in the recordings list on the frontend, but when I try to play I get the error message file unavailable. File is missing on disc.
    So the question is where does the recorded files go?
    According to the log the recording started and ended without errors.

It is a single machine.

(And there should be enough disc space left.)
    Last edited by Isostar; February 17th, 2008 at 11:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Any luck with restarting mythbackend?

Have you evaluated your folders on the system to see if you can find the large file by right clicking and checking file sizes?
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Beans

No restarting the backend doesn't help.

Beans

Reinstalled from scratch, it works now.
    It was a good thing that 8.04 alpha 2 forced me to reformat!

Beans

I get the same problem as described. Some programs record and other say they have but then when you try to play the file it says it cannot be found. I havn't looked to see if the db matches the mpg files in recordings but something is going wrong with recording. also it seems to happen more with wife swap than top gear, which gets me in trouble.

I have a single machine setup running ubuntu hardy which is fully updated. The tv card is haupague nova-t 500 dual tuner card. it's basically two tuners and a usb hub so it looks to ubuntu as two usb devices.

If i restart the backend it starts working again for a while but then after a few days it starts missing recording. I am not sure but it seems to happen more when both tuners are recording. I'd rather not re-install if possible as i have made many changes.

if anyone has any ideas i'd love to hear them.
    thanks for any help

toby

Beans

i found the file name of a failed recording and the mpg file was indeed missing from the disk. I also grepped the logs (var/logs/mythtv) for the file name and it showed up nothing except play back errors

mythbackend.log:2008-08-13 23:34:45.492 RingBuf(/GetPlaybackURL/UNABLE/TO/FIND/LOCAL/FILE/ON/media-box/1004_20080813175800.mpg): Could not open /GetPlaybackURL/UNABLE/TO/FIND/LOCAL/FILE/ON/media-box/1004_20080813175800.mpg.
    mythbackend.log:2008-08-13 23:34:45.495 RingBuf(/GetPlaybackURL/UNABLE/TO/FIND/LOCAL/FILE/ON/media-box/1004_20080813175800.mpg) Error: Invalid file descriptor in 'safe_read()'

any other places i should be looking for errors?

ta

Beans

Hi All,

i think it´s a bug and tried to report it - no reply yet:

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5507

Happens to me very often unfortunately - i could not correlate it to a specific event and i even got logs with DVB and file options enabled....

I use a workaround by restarting the mythtv-backend process at specific times (early morning and before the evening shows start) twice a day - that saves me usually.

I also reported the bug with the mythbuntu bugtracker but also got no reply on it...

By browsing forums i found similar entries back till 2004 with this problem...

Please add your findings to the bug report so we might get more attention on it from the developers !!

Beans

Anyone get any further with this? mine does it randomly, i.e. 5 shows to record it'll get the 1st 2d, 4th and miss the 3rd and 5th. Really annoying. Nothing in the backend log except from when you try to play it it fails.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast