Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two newbie questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Two newbie questions

1. [SOLVED, I think]When I am watching Live TV and then switch to watch recordings, the live TV that I was just watching (along with some of the other channels I flipped through) show up in the watch recording list. Is there any way to disable this?
    -There is an option under TV Settings -> General or Playback that says "Show 'LiveTV' recordings when using 'All Programs' filter"

2. I have found out how to transfer video and pictures to my Linux machine from Windows, it is actually way easier than I thought it would be. I just had to type //mythbuntu from the Run dialog box in Windows and the hard drive popped up. But, how do I get the videos to show up in MythTV? I can access and play them in Mythbuntu using VLC, but they haven't shown up like my pictures have. I am putting them in /var/lib/mythtv/videos, and they are AVI files. Do I have to setup MythTV to look in this directory or something?

3.[SOLVED] Is there any way to un-install a plug-in? I wrongly picked the default installation instead of going through and selecting individual plug-ins this time. I would like to remove the phone, netflix and games ones. I have found it in the control panel, but do I need to restart before MythTV is updated?
    - I clicked Quit instead of Apply, then Quit.
    Last edited by Caps18; February 17th, 2008 at 08:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Two newbie questions

You need to put the videos in your mythvideo folder (which by default I believe is /var/lib/mythtv/videos. Then you need to run video manager from the setup menu to scan them in. For pictures you need to put them wherever the picture directory you have specified in the mythfrontend setup, but you don't need to do a scan when you add new pictures.
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks, that fixed the problem.

I am now trying to add covers to the video files, but it doesn't seem to find any pictures. I have put the pictures in the video/movie name/picture.jpg (or .png) directory.

Or is there some other way that it is done that I haven't realized?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Caps18 View Post
    Thanks, that fixed the problem.

I am now trying to add covers to the video files, but it doesn't seem to find any pictures. I have put the pictures in the video/movie name/picture.jpg (or .png) directory.

Or is there some other way that it is done that I haven't realized?
    I don't think mythvideo automatically reads cover art like that. YOu can specify a directory where all cover art is supposed to go in the setup, and then in video manager you can select the cover art image, or you can manually edit the dbase, or have video manager manually search for it imdb, or there are a number of scripts that will pull stills from the video and insert them as cover art.
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I am still working on it, but changing the picture name to folder.jpg will make it show up on the folder when you choose the Watch Videos option.

I'll have to search on how to get IMDB to automatically work, that would be nice.

Beans

I'd like to know how this works myself. Do I have to go through every video and add metadata and cover art by hand?!?! What is the point in searching IMDB, manually entering IMDB number, etc, if nothing is looked up? Follow?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by locoHost View Post
    I'd like to know how this works myself. Do I have to go through every video and add metadata and cover art by hand?!?! What is the point in searching IMDB, manually entering IMDB number, etc, if nothing is looked up? Follow?
    If your video is in imdb, the cover art and description information will be downloaded and automatically inserted in the database. So you can have video manager search imdb for the title or directly enter the imdb number yourself. But from video manager you have to do this for each video. There are scripts that automate this out there...
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    My Hardware

Beans

Unhappy Re: Two newbie questions

Quote Originally Posted by newlinux View Post
    If your video is in imdb, the cover art and description information will be downloaded and automatically inserted in the database. So you can have video manager search imdb for the title or directly enter the imdb number yourself. But from video manager you have to do this for each video. There are scripts that automate this out there...
    You're contradicting: First sentence says "the cover art and description information will be downloaded and automatically inserted in the database" but then next to last sentence says "But from video manager you have to do this for each video"...

So which is it? Is there a process that I can somehow start up that will go get the movie inof? Or do I have to enter the coverart and metadata by hand?

Thanks for the reply

Mark

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Let's say you have a file called Alice_in_wonderland.iso in the MythVideo folder. When you go to video manager and highlight the file, just press your menu button on the remote (or m on a keyboard?) and select look up IMDB or something like that. Myth will automatically look up Alice in Wonderland and insert the poster and description (you may have to select which version you have on a list of Alice In Wonderlands). You have to do this for each file in the folder. If the film is in IMDB you do not have to enter meta data manually. If it is not there you may have to enter your own info, and some movies may not have a poster on IMDB.

Beans

Hmmm, that doesn't work for me. Does the lookup use the file name as it reference or the title that I enter and save in the database? Like for example a DVD rip folder will have VIDEO_TS.IFO as the start up file. Is the lookup trying to find VIDEO_TS rather than the correct name that I entered in the metadata?

Thank you very much for your help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast