View Poll Results: Why do hang out on the Ubuntuforums?

Voters
200. You may not vote on this poll
  • I only use Ubuntu

59 29.50%
  • I use Ubuntu as well as another distro

75 37.50%
  • I only use another distro but started with Ubuntu and like the community

35 17.50%
  • I never used Ubuntu, but I like the Ubuntu community

0 0%
  • I don't use Ubuntu but I want to help those who do

8 4.00%
  • I (only) use another distro and look for help here for my problems

2 1.00%
  • I use another distro now, but will switch to Ubuntu soon

2 1.00%
  • I don't use Ubuntu (anymore?) and plan to move to another forum

1 0.50%
  • I just like to hang out in the Cafe and the Backyard

14 7.00%
  • Other

4 2.00%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: If you use another Linux distro, why do you hang out here?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: If you use another Linux distro, why do you hang out here?

I started using Linux with Ubuntu. Ubuntu was my first Linux I tried. I registered to this forum on the same day that I installed Linux, meaning if you check out my join date, you will see how long I been a Linux user

RIght now I am using Debian Sid. I got tired of constant re-installation every six months with Ubuntu.

I hang around this forums, since I really got used to it. ANd besides, I will like to help people to feel the fresh water of Linux.

Beans

ubuntu is the only distribution I have used ever since.
    I have to say that im farily new to Ubuntu and Linux. In the near future I will test some other distribution just for comarison.
    I started with ubuntu because I heard it is the best distribution for beginners.

But another question:
    Why are there so many Arch uers, or more precisely Ubuntu users that switch to Arch.
    I do not know much about Arch, so it would be nice if you can tell me what your reasons are to use Arch.
    thx

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Okar View Post
    Why are there so many Arch uers, or more precisely Ubuntu users that switch to Arch.
    I do not know much about Arch, so it would be nice if you can tell me what your reasons are to use Arch.
    thx
    For me, it was configuring my system to the bone from the get-go, having a light, lean install very much tailored to my box and pacman is awesome
    "For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." - Joseph Dunninger

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Okar View Post
    But another question:
    thx
    I had been distro-hopping for about a year since I knew I liked Linux, but I didn't like Ubuntu. I took the test at http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/ and it suggested Arch. I figured what the heck, why not? I downloaded it and installed it. I didn't read the installation guide, so it took me a while to figure out how to install anything. Once I got it all figured out, it made so much sense and it's all so simple. I've been using Arch for a little over a year, and aside from dabbling with FreeBSD I have found the distro I'm going to stay with.
    This statement is false

Beans

I don't use Ubuntu, but the distro I use is based on Ubuntu. Since the Ubuntu Forum is so large it only makes since to come here for help. Also, I like the community here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I use Ubuntu 90% times and use another light distro to see what is happening there.

I was using Puppy Linux as another distro but changed to Slax 6.0.1 now. Slax is similar to Puppy but has KDE desktop. I learned to convert Slackware (TGZ) package to Slax module today.

Slax boots to KDE very fast so I use it when in a hurry to check something on the net.

kagashe
    Acer Aspire 3 A315-21 with pre-installed Endless OS & Ubuntu 22.04 in dual boot
    Linux Registered User #395189
    Ubuntu user number # 345

Beans

the community is a big part of it. I use to love the Cafe and Other OS Talks especially - This is not as active recently, but is still a very nice forum. Answers and questions pop up easily here.

Simply a wonderful community and a great OS. I did not see the option for use Ubuntu and another distro and like community., so I picked the 3rd.. not really accurate.
    Last edited by kazuya; March 3rd, 2008 at 04:05 PM.
    My favorite distros: Mint / Manjaro / Archbang
    Registered Linux user number 478398
    Other Notables: Ubuntu, Pinguy OS, Semplice,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

I only use Ubuntu (Gutsy). I hang out here because enjoy helping and being a part of the community.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jordanmthomas View Post
    ...I've been using Arch for a little over a year, and aside from dabbling with FreeBSD I have found the distro I'm going to stay with.
    Same here although my time spent with Arch has been less than yours. I just wish I tried it earlier on. Thing is as soon as people hear 'you have to configure everything yourself' they immediately give up or get discouraged. If you follow the Arch manual/wiki it really is not that hard to set up. I love how lean & fast it is

Beans

i started with ubuntu, everything i know from linux i learned on here, either from a tutorial on the forums, or from a link off these forums. So when i found arch, and understood linux more, it still made sense to ask questions here. Linux is linux, so unless its some odd distro specific thing, the knowledgeable people here can and will help you, so the forums is just the best way to get help. I post on the arch forums, but that is normally because i posted here and tried things and they didnt work, so i had to take all the info from my first thread here, paste it into a thread there, and hope someone answers. Their forums are good, and getting better, but nothing like here.

Originally Posted by Okar View Post
    thx
    this is from 'the arch way' in the Arch Linux Wiki.

"Arch Linux defines simplicity as a lightweight base structure without unnecessary additions, modifications, or complications, that allows an individual user to shape the system according to their own needs. In short; an elegant, minimalist approach."

"It has a streamlined set of configuration files that are arranged for quick access and editing, with no cumbersome graphical configuration tools that tend to hide possibilities from the user. An Arch Linux system is therefore readily configurable to the very last detail. "

Here is another good read from their Wiki,

"Arch vs Ubuntu

Ubuntu is Debian-based, while Arch is an original system built from scratch. Arch has a simpler foundation than Ubuntu. If you like to compile your own kernels, try out bleeding-edge CVS-only projects, or build a program from source every once in a while, Arch is better suited. If you want to get up and running quickly and not fiddle around with the guts of the system, Ubuntu is better suited. In general, developers and tinkerers will probably like Arch better than Ubuntu, though many Arch users claim to have started on Ubuntu and eventually migrated to Arch. "

From arch i was lead to crux, which is where arch sort of got its philosophy from.
    Last edited by jseiser; March 3rd, 2008 at 09:28 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234