View Poll Results: Why do hang out on the Ubuntuforums?

Voters
200. You may not vote on this poll
  • I only use Ubuntu

59 29.50%
  • I use Ubuntu as well as another distro

75 37.50%
  • I only use another distro but started with Ubuntu and like the community

35 17.50%
  • I never used Ubuntu, but I like the Ubuntu community

0 0%
  • I don't use Ubuntu but I want to help those who do

8 4.00%
  • I (only) use another distro and look for help here for my problems

2 1.00%
  • I use another distro now, but will switch to Ubuntu soon

2 1.00%
  • I don't use Ubuntu (anymore?) and plan to move to another forum

1 0.50%
  • I just like to hang out in the Cafe and the Backyard

14 7.00%
  • Other

4 2.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you use another Linux distro, why do you hang out here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: If you use another Linux distro, why do you hang out here?

I voted for I only use another distro but started with Ubuntu and like the community.

I used Ubuntu full-time for about 18 months and switched over to Arch after I felt I was mature enough. It was Ubuntu and this community that helped me migrate into the world of linux. I'm always thankful to the people here. I hang around here offering help whenever possible. I love this community. I'm running gutsy on VirtualBox for my programming needs and I just want to keep it in some form

Beans

I use Debian Etch and Ubuntu Gutsy along side one another. Lots of issues/solutions from one could be used on the other as Ubuntu is Debian-based. =]
    Quote Originally Posted by *snip*
    I love it when people stop trying to help me and I just uninstall ubuntu because of it . . .

Beans

Like others who have responded, I started with Ubuntu. I now use Arch exclusively. Someone else already noted that questions get asked here about Arch and I'm sometimes able to help answer them. I participate in the Arch forums too, but like to check here a few times during the day to read the new posts.

I chose "other" since I don't read the cafe or backyard all that often anymore. I just like helping those who are curious about Arch.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I use Arch and Ubuntu. I like Ubuntu's philosophy and its community -- there's a lot going on here, good discussions, insightful posts and educating threads. If I stopped using Ubuntu, I'd probably still come here just for the community and the fast-paced forums. (I generally prefer Arch's rolling release system over cyclical releases, but for now I vaue the comfort and integration of Ubuntu for my work desktop and lack the time to migrate the system to Arch (and Arch's 64-bit support is still a little behind, in comparison).)

Beans
    Hidden!

I use Debian, but I am more familiar with this site so I come here often. I started really using Linux with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

I've used Ubuntu for about a year and still love it, along with most Debian-based distros. Switching to Fedora was more out of my own curiosity, and i don't trust myself enough to try to install Arch again. The main reason that I still visit this board regularly is because the community here is far more helpful than on most other Linux forums, and I've usually gotten a good answer here before anywhere else.
    Last edited by mthei; February 19th, 2008 at 02:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Personally I use this forum for knowledge and information gathering.

I use Ubuntu and Fedora dual boot on the Dell I just put together.
    Bought a refurb about 3 weeks ago and decided it would a completely Windows free PC.

As far as the info and knowledge aspect. Lots of the stuff noted here by both newbies and experienced users have become quite valuable with my continuing usage of both.
    Most of the info here is "cross-distro" compatible.

Topics I use the most:
    1. Software link info.
    2. Modification info.
    3. Config info (which probably should be #1)
    4. Howtos are very informative. (and would share the #1 spot!)

Beans
    Hidden!

I see it as a Linux thing so even though I use Ubuntu right now as my main desktop system I might as well find myself on some other Linux related forum.

If I post questions that are not Ubuntu specific, often it seems to be the case, I'll go as close to the source as I can e.g. if a application is armed with a forum.

I will be changing to either Arch or Debian in the next couple of months on my desktop and my laptop will probably keep Fedora. I don't think I will read this forum any less though it's very alive and no matter what ubuntuforums.org always show up in a google search with good answers.

In a sense I don't feel I belong more to the Ubuntu community then any another Linux community just because I use Ubuntu. Maybe I am strange that way.

Beans

I usually spend time on either Slackware or Ubuntu, but Ubuntu is what really got me into using Linux, and it's what I recommend to friends when they talk about trying Linux. After I got used to applications in Ubuntu, I moved to Slackware. Now, what I like to do is try out in new applications in Ubuntu, and if I like them I'll build them in Slackware.

The forum community is great, there are some cool characters on here. Some members are very knowledgable and level-headed, while some members are crazy and far out, and some members are both (like RAV TUX). I love seeing discussions about new stuff here, as well, people announcing new projects and news articles. slashdot and freshmeat are good for that too, but it always seems more interesting when I read it here.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Wink Re: If you use another Linux distro, why do you hang out here?

Got used to the forum when I had ubuntu.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast