Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Installing Kubuntu 7.10 on Software RAID5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Exclamation Re: Installing Kubuntu 7.10 on Software RAID5

Fabulous post! I've been trying to solve this puzzle myself for a couple of weeks and now it's all laid out for me.

Beans

Re: Installing Kubuntu 7.10 on Software RAID5

Hi,

Just tried doing this and everything seemed to work out pretty well with the following exception. On my md0 1 of the drives is not syncd up how do I force a sync on that drive:

Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10]
    md6 : active raid5 sdd9[3] sdc9[2] sdb9[1] sda9[0]
    20506560 blocks level 5, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/4] [UUUU]

md5 : active raid5 sdd8[3] sdc8[2] sdb8[1] sda8[0]
    14650944 blocks level 5, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/4] [UUUU]

md4 : active raid5 sdd7[3] sdc7[2] sdb7[1] sda7[0]

md3 : active raid5 sdd6[3] sdc6[2] sdb6[1] sda6[0]

md2 : active raid5 sdd5[3] sdc5[2] sdb5[1] sda5[0]
    14650944 blocks level 5, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/4] [UUUU]

md1 : active raid1 sda10[0] sdc10[3](S) sdb10[1]
    4883648 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md0 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdd1[3] sdb1[1]
    128384 blocks [4/3] [UU_U]

unused devices: <none>

Beans

Lloyd,

Thanks for all of the time and effort that you have expended in writing this “How To”. It is very detailed and easy to understand.

I have only had one problem, I got all of the expected results until I got to the reboot step in the “Reboot to the RAID5 system!” section. The reboot worked up through and including my entering my userID and password. Then I got a dialog box that said “The following installation problem was detected while trying to start KDE. No write access to $HOME directory. KDE is unable to start.”

After rebooting into my original installation partition I have looked at the permissions for both the non RAID home directory and the RAID home directory and found them to be identical. I have redone the installation two more times being very careful to follow the instructions correctly and still have the same results.

Any pointers on where I should look for possible things that I may have done wrong?

My installation is the same as yours except that I only have 3 drives in my array rather than the 5 drives that you used.

Thanks again!

kb-linux

Beans

kb-linux,

First, I have to ask if you are installing 7.10. If you're installing 8.X, it could be different. I know there were some changes made to the RAID support in version 8. I haven't upgraded and so I haven't investigated how the changes affect my procedure.

Assuming you're installing 7.10, then let me be sure I know just where you're experiencing the issue. You're at the point just before "Move /home to RAID5 and Clean Up". Correct? Assuming that is correct ...

I'm not certain what is happening, since /home hasn't yet changed. It's still on the original installation partition. Check the /etc/fstab file that is used when booting from RAID and be sure that it doesn't have a /home mount point that isn't available after the boot. At this point you shouldn't have a separate mount point for /home. It should still be in / (root) and that would be the one it's using.

Also check to see that the home directory is set correctly in the /etc/passwd file. Be sure you're checking the passwd file in the root RAID partition, not the original installed root. It's possible that $HOME is getting changed somewhere in a shell configuration file, e.g. .profile or .bashrc. But this is doubtful if you're doing a fresh installation.

Those are some suggestions to try and track down the issue. I don't recall seeing your particular issue when I was doing the installation. So I'm not sure what the root issue is.

Post back here with further questions, or the solution when you find it so others will know.

--Lloyd

Beans

Thanks alot for this! Great work LNK! I am currently waiting for the building of the /home array to finish after a succesful install of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server 64bit. Everything has gone perfectly well until now, and I hope the little remaining work will too. I have followed the instructions as close as possible and had no problems or error messages except for a typo here and there which of course is my own bad. The raid consists of 6x750GB with: 128MB /boot, 18GB /, 50GB /usr, 20GB /var, 10GB /tmp and 2GB swap. The rest is for the /home partition and consists of partitions with 720GB on each disk. I will test the raid when it's done building and the final steps are done. If anything shows up, I'll post it here.

-Troll

Keep up the great work!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234