Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Automatically regulate the size and age of your Trash folder

Beans

HOWTO: Automatically regulate the size and age of your Trash folder

This script will automatically delete files from your trash folder that exceed certain age and/or size limits, and will also keep the total size down, while allowing extensive control over its behavior.

Updated 12 June 2008: handles freedesktop.org standard trash (KDE, XFCE, Gnome 2.22+) as well as older trash (Gnome 2.20 and below).
    Updated 5 July 2008: point out use of $HOME as ~ alternative, more reliably handle deletion of paths with spaces in name.
    7 July 2008: see http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...5&postcount=12 below for ideas on useful modifications to this script, especially for multi-user environments. For those who don't wish to make the changes manually, I will incorporate some/all of into the main script in the "near" future, as my time allows.

WARNING: this script will automatically delete files! Use with caution!
    Used correctly, this script should be perfectly safe. However, it does contain the "rm -rf" command, and has the potential to damage your system. Please take the following precautions before using:
    1) Back up your system, or at least your home folder. You should do this anyway, it's probably been too long.
    2) Before executing, always ensure that the TrashPath variable, which contains the path to be regulated, in fact points to your Trash folder, and not (for example) your home folder.
    3) NEVER execute this script with the "sudo" command unless you know exactly what you are doing. Improperly used, this could theoretically delete your whole system, although it would take a series of unlikely mistakes. (To remove files/directories owned by root from your trash, you can run "sudo emptytrash.bash", but only do so when you are sure the script works and know there are problematic files in your trash. Note that using sudo in this case affects your USER trash, not ROOT trash, whereas logging in as root or using "sudo -i<ENTER>emptytrash.bash" will clear ROOT trash.)

I cannot help you if you misuse this script - once it removes the files, they are gone forever. (Actually, some file systems do allow for an undelete, but that is beyond the scope of my experience, and the default in Ubuntu, ext3, does not have a reliable way of recovering deleted files.) Backups are important!

This script should work on any version of (k/x/etc)Ubuntu, provided you modify the TrashPath variable as needed. As written, TrashPath points to ~/.local/share/Trash, which is the Trash folder used by Gnome 2.22 (Hardy and greater), KDE, and XFCE. This script should work for any distro (certainly any Debian-based distro) using similar versions of Gnome/KDE/XFCE, and probably other file managers that use the Trash. When pointing to the Trash path, also make sure the "freedesktop" switch is set correctly; it should be "1" for Gnome 2.22+, KDE, and XFCE; "0" for Gnome 2.20 or lower; and set appropriately for other file managers. (The standard ones generally use the path ~/.local/share/Trash, with two sub-directories of "files" and "info".) It should also work fine in a multi-user system, provided the trash path for all users is the same.

In addition to being able to change the TrashPath, you have control over the following parameters:

Undelete info cleanup
    If using a Freedesktop.org-standard Trash (KDE, XFCE, Gnome 2.22+), setting this to "1" will have this script also purge the undelete information for removed files; this setting is ignored if not using a Freedesktop.org-standard Trash. I have tested this with Gnome 2.22 (which has the infrastructure in place but does not actually allow for undelete); it should not break anything for other file managers, but it is possible it will remove too much undelete information in some cases for others (I can't find clear information on how KDE and XFCE regulate theirs). Worst case scenario is that you'd lose the undelete path for files still in your trash, meaning that automatic restore wouldn't work (but you could still do so manually).

Six settings control the age at which files get deleted. FileLimit, FileLimitLarge, and FileLimitHuge are the number of days a file must remain static (i.e., not moved, modified, or had permission/ownership changes) before being removed. FileLimit variables apply to the files that are in the root of TrashPath, i.e., not in a sub-folder. DirLimit, DirLimitLarge, and DirLimitHuge apply to the subfolders, which are treated as a units. Note that if you modify a file within a subfolder, it may or may not change the modified date on the folder itself, depending on the nature of the change to the file.

Size
    FileLimit and DirLimit variables apply to all files and folders. The Large and Huge variables apply only to those files and folders exceeding a certain size, in megabytes. By default, the script treats all files larger than 10 MB as "large" and greater than 100 MB as "huge", with slightly higher limits for folders.

Overall Size
    The total size of the Trash folder can be limited (in MB) using MaxSize. In addition, you can set the AlwaysEmpty variable to 1 (on) or 0 (off). If AlwaysEmpty is on, then the script will delete files from the Trash whenever they meet age/size requirements, even if the TOTAL size of the Trash is below the limit (MaxSize). If AlwaysEmpty is off, files are never deleted until the Trash folder exceeds MaxSize.

Overall Size deletions
    To address the scenario where MaxSize is exceed, but no individual files or folders meet their age/size requirements, there are some additional parameters for forcing the Trash below MaxSize. These two groups of parameters control the rate at which the time/age limits are temporarily lowered to delete additional files, and the minimum values they can take, at which you point deletion will stop even if MaxSize is exceeded. To deal with MaxSize being exceed, the script lowers all limits by the indicated amount, deletes any matching files, then lowers and deletes again, etc., until either MaxSize is no longer exceeded or the minimum values are reached.

To disable the looping to force the Trash below MaxSize even when individual files/folders don't meet the limits you have set, simply set the minimum values to the same as the initial values.

The Script
    Below is the script. Copy the contents of it into a new text file using your favorite editor (Gedit, etc.).
    REMEMBER to set the TrashPath correctly for your system!
    Make any other changes to the settings you wish, and save the file (e.g., emptytrash.bash). Then make the file executable, either by right-clicking and selecting Properties -> Permissions, or in a terminal:
    Code:
    chmod +x emptytrash.bash
    You can the test the script, after backing up your files, by running
    Code:
    ./emptytrash.bash
    in a terminal. The script should simply return a command prompt without errors. It may or may not have actually deleted anything from your trash, depending on what matched the parameters you set.

To run automatically, you can either put the script in your daily/hourly cron, or (as I do),
    Code:
    sudo cp emptytrash.bash /usr/local/bin
    and add
    Code:
    /usr/local/bin/emptytrash.bash
    to your session startup commands (in Gnome, System -> Preferences -> Sessions -> Add).

The script:
    Code:
    #! /bin/bash

# Purge files from Trash, if meet sufficient time and size criterea
    # Directories are treated as blocks
    # Uses only ctime (modified/moved) for time matching, as access time for directories is often
    #   much more recent (e.g., if listed files within) and files are sometimes made more recent
    #   by find and other system commands rather than actually reading it
    # Will never delete files/directoires changed (deleted) less than 1 day (24 hours) ago
    # Note that if files not owned by the user end up in the user's Trash directory, this script
    #   may not be able to delete them unless it is run as root

# Path to Trash directory and Trash type
    # If path contains spaces, enclose in "" and do not use ~; use $HOME instead (e.g., "$HOME/path to trash/trash/")
    # Gnome 2.20 and earler use ~/.Trash (not freedesktop.org standard)
    # Gnome 2.22 & later, XFCE 4.4 & later, and KDE 3.4? & later use ~/.local/share/Trash (freedesktop.org standard)
    # Freedesktop is 1 if uses a files/info subfolder system in TrashPath (freedesktop.org standard);
    #	0 if stores files directly in TrashPath (i.e., set appropriately to match the path type)
    TrashPath=~/.local/share/Trash
    Freedesktop=1 

# Maintain undelete information
    # 1 if using freedesktop.org system and want to purge unneeded .trashinfo files from TrashPath/info;
    #	0 otherwise
    # this is ignored unless Freedesktop (above) = 1
    # NOTE: not entirely sure how non-Gnome handle maintaining TrashPath/info, so this could break "undelete"
    #	Trash functions, but it probably is safe to use
    MaintainInfo=1 

# Time limits are in days; File settings refer to files in base folder,
    #   Dir to directories in same
    # Large & Huge limits refer to files/directories larger than the indicated size
    # These values must be integers, and must be greater than 0
    FileTime=90
    FileTimeLarge=30
    FileTimeHuge=7
    DirTime=90
    DirTimeLarge=45
    DirTimeHuge=10

# Size limits (in MB) to trigger shorter time intervals
    # These values must be integers, and must be greater than 0
    FileSizeLarge=10
    FileSizeHuge=100
    DirSizeLarge=15
    DirSizeHuge=150

# Overall maximum size (in MB) before begins to delete things before the above limits
    # Must be an integer and greater than 0
    MaxSize=2000

# Set following to 1 if wish to empty trash, based on above limits, even when MaxSize
    #   is not exceeded; set to 0 if only empty the trash when above MaxSize
    AlwaysEmpty=1

# Following values are amount to reduce limits by if necessary to reduce total size below MaxSize
    # All values must be integers and greater than 0
    FileTimeDec=1
    FileTimeLargeDec=1
    FileTimeHugeDec=1
    DirTimeDec=1
    DirTimeLargeDec=1
    DirTimeHugeDec=1
    FileSizeLargeDec=1
    FileSizeHugeDec=2
    DirSizeLargeDec=1
    DirSizeHugeDec=3

# Following values are the smallest value that the limits/sizes can take on, when MaxSize is exceeded
    # Set to 3 if, for example, you wish to never delete files less than 3 days old
    # All values must be integers and greater than 0
    FileTimeMin=1
    FileTimeLargeMin=1
    FileTimeHugeMin=1
    DirTimeMin=1
    DirTimeLargeMin=1
    DirTimeHugeMin=1
    FileSizeLargeMin=1
    FileSizeHugeMin=1
    DirSizeLargeMin=1
    DirSizeHugeMin=1

#-------------------------------------------------------------
    EmptyTrash() {
        # files first, in the main directory only
        # Normal
        TP="$1"
        find "$TP" -maxdepth 1 -type f -ctime +$FileTime -execdir rm -f '{}' +

# Large
        find "$TP" -maxdepth 1 -type f -ctime +$FileTimeLarge -size +${FileSizeLarge}M -execdir rm -f '{}' +

# Huge
        find "$TP" -maxdepth 1 -type f -ctime +$FileTimeHuge -size +${FileSizeHuge}M -execdir rm -f '{}' +

# Now directories
        # Normal
        find "$TP" -maxdepth 1 -type d -ctime +$DirTime -execdir rm -rf '{}' +

# For Large & Huge, need to loop to be able to get directory size
        # Large
        for i in `find "$TP" -maxdepth 1 -type d -ctime +$DirTimeLarge`
        do
          if [ `du -sm "$i"|awk '{print $1}'` -gt $DirSizeLarge ]
          then
            rm -rf "$i"
          fi
        done

# Huge
        for i in `find "$TP" -maxdepth 1 -type d -ctime +$DirTimeHuge`
        do
          if [ `du -sm "$i"|awk '{print $1}'` -gt $DirSizeHuge ]
          then
            rm -rf "$i"
          fi
        done
    }

EmptyInfo() {
        # get list of all files in TrashPath/info, then remove ones that don't have a matching file in TrashPath/files
        # strip './' and '.trashinfo' from list of files in TrashPath/info before storing in a temp file
        find "$TrashPath/info" -maxdepth 1 -type f -execdir ls '{}' + |sed -e 's/.\///' |sed -e 's/.trashinfo$//' > /tmp/emptytrash_trashinfo.list
        while read line
        do
          ls "$TrashPath/files/${line}" > /dev/null 2>&1
          if [ $? -ne 0 ]
          then
            rm -rf "$TrashPath/info/${line}.trashinfo"
          fi
        done < /tmp/emptytrash_trashinfo.list
        rm -rf /tmp/emptytrash_trashinfo.list
    }

MaxVal() {
        if [ $1 -gt $2 ]
        then
          return $1
        else
          return $2
        fi
    }

# Set needed variables for splitting lines and comparisons
    export IFS=$'\n'
    CompVal=$(($FileTimeDec + $FileTimeLargeDec + $FileTimeHugeDec + $DirTimeDec + $DirTimeLargeDec + $DirTimeHugeDec))

# purge based on individual file times/sizes, even if total size is not exceeded
    if [ $AlwaysEmpty -eq 1 ]
    then
      if [ $Freedesktop -eq 1 ]
      then
        EmptyTrash "$TrashPath/files"
      else
        EmptyTrash "$TrashPath"
      fi
    fi

# Now loop until overall size does not exceed maximum
    while [ `du -sm $TrashPath|awk '{print $1}'` -gt $MaxSize ]
    do
      # First time through this may be redundant, if AlwaysEmpty is 1
      then
        EmptyTrash "$TrashPath/files"
      else
        EmptyTrash "$TrashPath"
      fi

if [ $(($FileTime + $FileTimeLarge + $FileTimeHuge + $DirTime + $DirTimeLarge + $DirTimeHuge)) -eq $CompVal ]
      then
        # Stop, because all time limits are as small as they are going to get
        break
      fi

# reduce all time and size limits by appropriate values, keeping at least minimum size
      MaxVal $((FileTime - $FileTimeDec)) $FileTimeMin
      FileTime=$?

MaxVal $((FileTimeLarge - $FileTimeLargeDec)) $FileTimeLargeMin
      FileTimeLarge=$?

MaxVal $((FileSizeLarge - $FileSizeLargeDec)) $FileSizeLargeMin
      FileSizeLarge=$?

MaxVal $((FileTimeHuge - $FileTimeHugeDec)) $FileTimeHugeMin
      FileTimeHuge=$?

MaxVal $((FileSizeHuge - $FileSizeHugeDec)) $FileSizeHugeMin
      FileSizeHuge=$?

MaxVal $((DirTime - $DirTimeDec)) $DirTimeMin
      DirTime=$?

MaxVal $((DirTimeLarge - $DirTimeLargeDec)) $DirTimeLargeMin
      DirTimeLarge=$?

MaxVal $((DirSizeLarge - $DirSizeLargeDec)) $DirSizeLargeMin
      DirSizeLarge=$?

MaxVal $((DirTimeHuge - $DirTimeHugeDec)) $DirTimeHugeMin
      DirTimeHuge=$?

MaxVal $((DirSizeHuge - $DirSizeHugeDec)) $DirSizeHugeMin
      DirSizeHuge=$?
    done

# If requested, clean up the .trashinfo files
    then
      if [ $MaintainInfo -eq 1 ]
      then
        EmptyInfo
      fi
    fi
    If at any point you wish to stop using and/or remove the script, just delete the file or reference from your cron/session commands, and/or delete emptytrash.bash.

This should work in a mutli-user environment with a single copy, provided all users have the same relative path to their trash, or multiple copies of the script with different names could be used, each with its own path.

Note that if you want to check the total size of your Trash, you can either use a graphical tool like Disk Usage Analyer or, in a terminal
    Code:
    du -sm ~/.local/share/Trash
    which will output the total size of your Trash in megabytes (assuming ~/.local/share/Trash is your Trash folder).

Also note that if this solution is more complex than you need/want, and you just want a simple one-liner that prevents the Trash folder from becoming too large, see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=319211.

Please post (not private message) if you have any questions, comments, or complaints.

This script is becoming a bit of a communual effort, so I thank those who have posted below and pointed out problems or contributed new ideas/extensions.
    Last edited by tweedledee; July 8th, 2008 at 03:07 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: Automatically regulate the size and age of your Trash folder

Thanks.. but I have a doubt.. How to restore files from trash to the exact location?

Beans

That feature is implemented (at least in Gnome) in Hardy; I'm not sure yet (since I've not used Hardy) how the restore ability will affect this script.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by tweedledee View Post
    That feature is implemented (at least in Gnome) in Hardy; I'm not sure yet (since I've not used Hardy) how the restore ability will affect this script.
    Yup tried it out today.. Didnt know that feature was there....

Beans

Posted update to deal with standard trash format in addition to the old Gnome style. Should now work for almost any file manager running almost any *nix.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I find this script insanely useful. It will sometime become part of the default Linux installation. I think.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Re: HOWTO: Automatically regulate the size and age of your Trash folder

Regarding the post by 'tweedledee' I am using Hardy and I have been searching the web but I can't seem to find the answer I am looking for. Can anyone tell me how the in the world I manage to restore files lying in the trash bin?

I see no option when right clicking them or anything like that - where am I supposed to look??!

The directory structure looks as I supposed it should, with the ~/.local/share/Trash/{files, info}

The deleted files are in there, but also here, there is no option to undelete any of them?
    Last edited by lobner; June 27th, 2008 at 02:35 PM.
    "Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes."
    - Edsger Dijkstra

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lobner View Post
    The deleted files are in there, but also here, there is no option to undelete any of them?
    I believe, though I am not 100% sure, that undelete was removed from Gnome 2.22 shortly before final release, and will appear in a final version in 2.24 (which should be released with Intrepid).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ohh... ok thanks, have to wait then. But I can still find the deletion-points nonetheless. In the info-folder
    "Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes."
    - Edsger Dijkstra

Beans

@OP: good effort.
    some improvement suggestion:

1) find can include compound statements eg
    Code:
    find . \( -name "*.txt" -o -name "*.jpg" \) -ls
    maybe that can be applied to EmptyTrash() function where you have a few repetitive find commands with ctime, size ...
    2) if you use the for loop to iterate the results of a find command, you might hit problems if there are files with spaces. Use a while read loop and quote your variables instead.
    Code:
    find ..... | while read DIR
    do
      # do something with "$DIR"
    done
    3) for this piece of code:
    Code:
        for i in `find "$TP" -maxdepth 1 -type d -ctime +$DirTimeLarge`
        do
          if [ `du -sm $i|awk '{print $1}'` -gt $DirSizeLarge ]
          then
            rm -rf $i
          fi
        done
    can be a one-liner like this :
    Code:
    find . -type f -ctime +$DirTimeLarge -print0 | xargs -0 du -sm | awk '$1>"'$a'"+0' | xargs rm -f

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast