Thread: Firefox blank pages and a network bridge

Beans

Firefox blank pages and a network bridge

I'm running virtual box on Gutsy so that I can use an XP guest. I've configured a network bridge so that I can use a static IP on both the Gutsy host and the XP guest.

Sometimes in Firefox on Gutsy, I'll pull up a well-known web site and Firefox will try to download the web page (you see little messages like "transferring...", "waiting..." in the Firefox status bar), but then it will only display a blank page in Firefox.

I'll try to hit Ctrl-F5 a bunch of times and I still just get a blank page. I'll try again a few hours later and get the web site fine.

When I have this problem in Firefox on Gutsy, I switch to my XP guest and pull down the web site in Firefox on XP. The site always comes down fine.

I don't know that it's related to the bridge, but I'm thinking it might be, so I asked here in the Virtualization forum where lots of other people are using network bridges.

Anybody know what the problem could be?

Beans

Re: Firefox blank pages and a network bridge

Never mind. This last time I got it, it was because I was trying to pull up amule.org and not www.amule.org. It does seem like I've been getting this fairly frequently, but I'll wait until I can reproduce it here in a true test case before I bump this thread next time.

Beans

Well, I just got it again. I went to http://mythbuntu.org and clicked on "Mythbuntu 8.04 Alpha 2 available for testing". Then instead of the browser pulling up the page that text was linked to, it tried to pull up http://www.mythbuntu.org and just gave me a blank page. I switched to XP running under KVM and it worked fine. Switched back to Gutsy and then it worked fine. It's like pulling it up under XP is clearing out some cache in the way my machine is networked with the bridge that's screwing me up.

And no, if you follow the instructions I've posted, I don't expect you to be able to re-create. It's intermittent even here.

The problem is I have no idea where to look to fix this.

If someone could give me a hint, I would love it.

Beans

How did you create your network bridge? Please write your network configuration, /etc/network/interfaces or your script, so someone here may see what is wrong with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I don't use virtual box, but if it works similarly to what I know: Have you set a different static IP for the guest than for the host?

Beans

Oh, cool. I had given up on anyone responding. I set up my networking according to a HOWTO on virtualbox.org that doesn't appear to be online anymore - at least not for the last couple of days. It was here, in case the URL looks similar to anyone:

http://www.virtualbox.org/discussion/1/126

The only changes were in /etc/network/interfaces. This is the contents of that file now:

Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual
    auto eth0

auto tap0
    iface tap0 inet manual
          tunctl_user levander

auto bridge0
    iface bridge0 inet static 
          address 192.168.0.63
          netmask 255.255.255.0
          broadcast 192.168.0.255
          gateway 192.168.0.1
          bridge-ports eth0 tap0 
          bridge-ageing 7200
          bridge-fd 0
    The XP guest uses the tap0 interface and 192.168.0.64 as its static IP address. But, I've used XP's services to configure that IP address.

Here's the output of 'ip addr' on the host:

Code:
    1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,10000> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue 
        link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
        inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
        inet6 ::1/128 scope host 
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,10000> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000
        link/ether 00:1d:7d:a2:77:6b brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
        inet6 fe80::21d:7dff:fea2:776b/64 scope link 
    3: tap0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,10000> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 500
        link/ether 00:ff:f3:79:f4:54 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
        inet6 fe80::2ff:f3ff:fe79:f454/64 scope link 
    4: bridge0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,10000> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue 
        link/ether 00:1d:7d:a2:77:6b brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
        inet 192.168.0.63/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global bridge0
        inet6 fe80::21d:7dff:fea2:776b/64 scope link 
    I've noticed mnior network flakiness in one app on XP too. There's an app I use for work that when I start it up, it downloads some thumbnail images to use as buttons on an initial screen to let you select where to go. I have to restart the application a couple of times because the first time or two, not all the thumbnails come down.

I'm definitely thinking there's something flaky with my networking. Be it I configured it wrong or there just some little bug that's got me.
    Last edited by Levander; February 20th, 2008 at 12:44 AM.