Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New MythTV project

Beans

New MythTV project

Hi, i'm pretty new to MythTV (although not to linux), and would like to know if Mythbuntu has certain features.

- Does it have a FM radio plugin?
    - I have a usb internal memory card reader, can it detect new cards (from my digital camera mainly) being inserted and support picture browsing/slideshows?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: New MythTV project

No FM radio plugin as of yet. Thought it has been marked for future releases im pretty sure.
    MythTV itself does have picture browsing capabilities, but to get it to automatically look in the card reader everytime you plug a card in would involve some scripting

Beans

Hi,

There isn't a FM plugin and from what I've read there won't be one.

I'm currently trying to put together a simple hack that can send a radio signal over a network connection to my myth frontend. At the moment I can send a FM radio stream from a PVR-500 in my server to another PC using the following code:

frontend: nc -l -p 5000 | mplayer -
    backend: ivtv-radio -v -f 104.3 -d /dev/radio0 -c "sox -t raw -r 48000 -w -s -c2 %s -t ogg - |nc 192.168.0.2 5000"

All I need to do is wrap the backend in a perl script and write abit of xml for Myth frontend. It'll take me a while to get it going but maybe I can do it

Have a look here for a quick and dirty hack:- http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Fm_radio
    Regards
    Ian Dobson
    Last edited by ian dobson; February 19th, 2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: added link to hack

Beans

Hi,

OK the XML was easy, now for the hard bit. Communication between the frontend and backend.

I'm thinking about just using netcat/bash for both the frontend and the backend.

One thing I've noticed when I listen to the radio and try to record fron tuner0 (I have a PVR 500) I only get a green screen recorded. So it looks as if I need to tell mythtv that the tuner is busy or an easier solution just add a FM tuner to my backend.

Regards
    Ian Dobson
    Walking on water and writing software to specification is easy if they're frozen.

My corner of the internet http://www.planet-ian.com

Beans

Hi,

Finally got round to working on a radio beamer.

The backend deamon (perl script) is working almost all of the time.
    The frontend script always starts mplayer with a network pipe from the backend but doesn't always play the selected radio (you hear nothing).

I think it's a timing problem but I've not had a chance to look at it. Maybe this weekend.

Regards
    Ian Dobson
    Walking on water and writing software to specification is easy if they're frozen.

Beans

Hi,

OK I hacked about in the code abit this evening, and I've got it working almost. The program consists of:-

1) A perl deamon that listens for connections from the frontend
    2) A small script on the frontend that tells the backend what frequency to use.
    3) A small script that uses the ivtv-radio -s output to generate a xml menu file for mythfrontend

(3) isn't working exactly as it should. the XML file looks OK to me but mythtv crashes when ever I open the radio menu.

So, who is interested in a copy? I won't create a package, just manual install instructions if enough people say please.

Regards
    Ian Dobson

Beans

I am definatly interested in what you have done here, would creatly appreciate if you could post scripts/instructions so I could get radio working with my system

Otherwise I will start to work through that guide you linked, however my Linux skills are limited so don't expect much.
    Last edited by amphibem; April 26th, 2008 at 02:12 AM.
    Mythbuntu 8.04
    ASUS M2N-MX SE - Athlon 64 3800
    1GB RAM - 250GB Seagate
    PCI DVB-S

Beans

Hi amphibem,

Give me afew days and I'll try and put together something together.

You need to manually edit several files but I'll try and get it as automagic as possible.

Regards
    Ian Dobson

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ian dobson View Post
    Hi amphibem,

Give me afew days and I'll try and put together something together.

You need to manually edit several files but I'll try and get it as automagic as possible.

Regards
    Ian Dobson
    Ian,

Sorry I had been meaning to get back on this! I appreciate the offer, however I actually have radio working now.

I got it working on my machine following the guide you linked, I hadn't read your posts properly to notice you were talking about getting seperate Frontend/Backend radio working; I only have a single combined machine so it was much simplier.

Im sure others (including myself in the future) may still appreciate if you posted you scripts though
    Mythbuntu 8.04
    ASUS M2N-MX SE - Athlon 64 3800
    1GB RAM - 250GB Seagate
    PCI DVB-S

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by cyruspy View Post
    Hi, i'm pretty new to MythTV (although not to linux), and would like to know if Mythbuntu has certain features.

- I have a usb internal memory card reader, can it detect new cards (from my digital camera mainly) being inserted and support picture browsing/slideshows?
    Mythtv does support importing your pictures to the directory you have set in Utilities/Setup>Setup>Media Settings>Image Settings

By default that is /var/lib/mythtv/pictures

To import the pictures from your usb card reader or the camera itself you need to know the directory that it is mounted to. For that just insert the card and/or plug in the camera. Then look in the /media directory to find out where it mounts the device. Then put the path to that mount point into the Paths to import images from: box. You can place multiple mount points seperated by colons :

Once you have the path to your device(s) then just go to the Media Library>Image Gallery, hit the menu key and then import. If your card or camera is plugged in and you have the correct mount point in the settings it will import all the pictures on those device(s) into a folder with the current date. Then you can browse and start slide shows. Unfortunately the current Image Gallery doesn't support manipulating images so they fit on the screen. You can rotate them, but if they are taken portrait style it will cut off the top and bottom of the image (whatever doesn't fit on your screen).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast