Thread: wxWidgets - Hello world not compiling

Beans

wxWidgets - Hello world not compiling

I've been digging around forums for the last week and still cannot find a solution:

intro:
    using g++ / eclipse ide / ubuntu 7.10 / all the stuff needed for wx installed

need:
    want to start using wxwidgets as a base for my gui operations

wanted solution:
    so the hello world app will compile

My app includes only wx/wx.h. I've added directories of the wx headers, then added all the built binaries to the project, afterwards added 'wx-config --libs' 'wx-config --cxxflags' to the linker commands. I have wxWidgets 2.6, 2.8 , 2.8.7 installed on my machine, I am using the latter in my development. Is installed in a specific folder, compiled without errors, SHOULD work without a glimpse.

Does not - I recieve 226 errors while I'm trying to build my application, a simple hello world, all of them lookin similair to this:

Code:
    Severity and Description	Path	Resource	Location	Creation Time	Id
    /home/piotro/Desktop/ P1.Installs/wxWidgets/include/wx/chkconf.h #error "wxMessageBox is always needed"		Wx	line 1765	1203097962170	5731
    and

Code:
    Severity and Description	Path	Resource	Location	Creation Time	Id
    /home/piotro/Desktop/ P1.Installs/wxWidgets/include/wx/app.h ‘wxApp’ has not been declared		Wx	line 630	1203097962174	5747
    Full source code of my hello world with wx:

Code:
    #include<wx_pb.h>
    #include<wx/wx.h>

int main(){

}

I'm helpless right here.
    Will keep on digging until I've succesfully compiled my program, but this may prove useful as long as someone will answer please.

Beans

Re: wxWidgets - Hello world not compiling

Ok, I've found the solution. posting it for anyone who has ever had/ is going to have problems with this:

If one is using eclipse 4<cdt<3, one must follow these steps after succesfully installing wxwidgets:

create a project, create a random named cpp file in that project, enter the projects properties, go to c++ build -> settings and there accomplish this:

1. type wx-config --cppflags in your terminal, copy the output into the place that has g++ in it (g++ [your output of wx-config --cppflags) < in GCC C++ COMPILER

2. type wx-config --libs in terminal, copy the output after g++ in your GCC C++ LINKER

voila, works!

Beans

Thanks for returning and posting your solution! Saved me a headache, for sure

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Great, thanks - saved me a headache too..

I found I could use the following shortcuts, which saves going to terminal and copying and pasting the output.

For Compiler:

g++ `wx-config --cppflags`

For Linker:

g++ `wx-config --libs`

Beans

Your Brilliant!!
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

You made my day, man.

Well, my night, actually...

This helped me solve an issue in Code::Blocks in wich I had already given up.

Cheers!
    Computers are incredibly fast, accurate and stupid. Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant. Together they are powerful beyond imagination.