Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: idea

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: idea

Quote Originally Posted by aoanla View Post
    Not to rain on your parade, because I can see why people might like this... but how is this significantly different to someone visiting the Wine AppDB to check on the status of an application? It's not like it's hard to bookmark it and then search for a given app...
    Essentially what you're asking for is to complicate AppDB by including a client-side mapping between application executable names and application entries in the AppDB.
    Frankly, wouldn't it be easier just to add something to the Wine install that prompts you to go to AppDB to check on the compatibility of programs?
    yeah... i know about this and you know about this but my dad, for example, doesn't have a clue.

advantages of this over say showing a popup saying "check appdb for info" would be integration and ease of use. it's also a lot nicer... i mean... computers are supposed to do the grunt work for us, right? not tell us to go off searching a random website we've never heard of and then not understand anything we read anyway. a lot of people really are truly clueless. my dad for sure would struggle to search appdb even with me telling him exactly what to do, and then understanding what's said would be nigh on impossible

i have my pythons playing nicely with my mysqls now... let's see what i can come up with
    Last edited by Choad; February 15th, 2008 at 06:22 PM.
    sudo make me a sandwich

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: idea

Quote Originally Posted by aoanla View Post
    Not to rain on your parade, because I can see why people might like this... but how is this significantly different to someone visiting the Wine AppDB to check on the status of an application? It's not like it's hard to bookmark it and then search for a given app...
    Essentially what you're asking for is to complicate AppDB by including a client-side mapping between application executable names and application entries in the AppDB.
    Frankly, wouldn't it be easier just to add something to the Wine install that prompts you to go to AppDB to check on the compatibility of programs?
    Well it really doesn't have to be the wine appdb, just a db where ratings are stored, could be a totally self sufficient system but as to why, well the appdb is flawed in a major way, many doesn't use it.

A lot of apps still have data only from versions that have a date release name instead of a 0.9.xx ect and some apps doesn't get updated within the 0.9.xx versions either.

For ex. some programs that are rated gold or platinum are broken (sometimes without the maintainer knowing or caring) or the way to fix them has changed but no updates, other apps that are rated garbage actually work OTB platinum and so on.
    A simple, active and easy to use rating system would help a lot since you would get more up to date information, maintainers can't always keep up and some has moved on to other apps ect. and users doesn't always create the test data. This would give an more accurate rating and give you hints as to which version of wine to use other than just what version the maintainer used last time he updated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12