Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canonical Ltd. Stock?

Beans

Canonical Ltd. Stock?

Anyone here know if you will ever be able to buy stock in Canonical Ltd.?

Beans

Re: Canonical Ltd. Stock?

Hello my friend

did you find where and how to buy the stocks?

If you know anything or if you have any questions tell me

Have a good time
    regards
    Dimitris

Beans
    Hidden!

You can't buy stock in Canonical. Look at the suffix: "Ltd.". That means that Canonical is a private limited company, and so can't legally trade stock on the stock market.
    Website | Blog | The Arch Hurd Project

If you want to ask about something I posted, send a PM, as I don't watch many threads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

@Barrucadu

That surprises me. In Australia, the suffix 'Ltd', used on its own denotes a registered public company. Only such public company stock may be traded without restriction on Stock Exchanges. I would have thought the usage would not have been all that different in the UK.

Of course, sometimes public companies are removed from the register, perhaps as a consequence of a takeover having removed some or all stock from the market. One would have to be familiar with the respective rules and national legislation to understand why in any case.

That being said, I have no idea what the trading status of Canonical Ltd is. It would be interesting to know, and especially so in the light of its domicile being the Isle of Man.

Beans

Probably whatever is best for dodging tax. The Isle of Man has long been known as a base for companies operating close to the UK that want to avoid taxes. IOM isn't actually part of the UK.
    Last edited by Johnsie; March 26th, 2008 at 12:41 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Barrucadu View Post
    You can't buy stock in Canonical. Look at the suffix: "Ltd.". That means that Canonical is a private limited company, and so can't legally trade stock on the stock market.
    Exactly the same in SA. The company is not publicly listed and therefore you cannot trade any stocks. My experience with companies that get listed is that they go downhill fast as the only thing that matters is shareholder interest. Thats when staff cuts occur etc.

Beans

Canonical is privately held and has no plans to go public. A quick web search will reveal multiple interviews where Mark Shuttleworth explains why.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsie View Post
    Probably whatever is best for dodging tax. The Isle of Man has long been known as a base for companies operating close to the UK that want to avoid taxes. IOM isn't actually part of the UK.

Yeah, we certainly complicate things. It can have laws imposed on it by the UK government, it's not "part of" the UK, just "of" the UK. There was even a town with that status up north because it had a history of interchanging between being Scotish and English. Also, many people in Northern Ireland call themselves British, despite not being part of the British Isles.

Nathan

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by reassuringlyoffensive View Post
    Also, many people in Northern Ireland call themselves British, despite not being part of the British Isles.

Nathan
    That I don't get either, the Ireland part tells me it is part of Ireland and not Britain or the UK. There is no Southern Ireland, just Ireland.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Keep it civil and on topic. 23meg has sufficiently answered the question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast