Thread: Odd permissions problem - cif mounts

Beans

Odd permissions problem - cif mounts

Ubuntu 7.10 on MacBook intel under VMWare/Parallels (I've seen the same problem under both VM environments).

I've done cif (smb) mounts to a Mac share. I can access the share perfectly from a Windows VM or a FreeBSD VM or an outside Windows machine.

Now, let's say I have a directory on the share with a couple of files in it:

srcdir/
    file1.txt
    file2.txt

And I want to copy that dir to some point on my share. So, I do it like this:

cp -R (...)/srcdir (...)/dstdir

What happens is Ubuntu complains that it can't create the directory - permission denied. But, when I look in the dstdir, the srcdir is created, but the files underneath aren't.

If I repeat the command, it then sees the directory is created, but then complains about the first file and permissions out, again. But, it appears to copy the file.

If I repeat the command, again, it may or may not complain about permissions for the second file.

Eventually, after several iterations, it all gets copied down - with a lot of complaints along the way.

I've opened up the permissions completely, I've made myself part of the 'root' group, but it still does this.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thankx,
    rickb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Odd permissions problem - cif mounts

You have checked the permissions of the files created? Are they open to you?

Going root doesn't sound like a good way to go.
    Last edited by fjgaude; February 13th, 2008 at 07:02 PM.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q30X Intel i5-4670K 4.0GHz, SSDs, 16G RAM | Dell laptop E1505n, netbook 10n
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP Pro running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans

Yeah, I've set and reset permissions - a+w on everything.

No va.

Currently playing with cifs.mount args to see if something there.

rickb

Beans

Ok, have one answer.

On the Mac side, when you set up the share, you need to allow 'everyone' full access. Apparently the Mac user isn't quite the same as the Linux user.

I'd like to fine tune this, since I really don't want 'everyone' access on the Mac shares, but that's what I had to do.

rickb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Send a bug report to Apple for your issues.

Peace!
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q30X Intel i5-4670K 4.0GHz, SSDs, 16G RAM | Dell laptop E1505n, netbook 10n
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP Pro running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.