Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Common folk still have no idea what linux is

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Common folk still have no idea what linux is

I've just had a conversation with one of my flat mates and it really made me realise how big a share Microsoft still have.

Any way my flatmate came to me as his laptop had fallen over and refused to boot (boot.ini was corrupted) and it wouldn't repair. He didn't have his Windows disk and had no boot disk so I said that I would just install Linux and let him dual boot (I say dual boot) till he got his windows disk sent down. It took me 10 further minutes to explain what the difference was between a PC and Windows. It worries me that still the distinction between PCs and windows in the eyes of the general public is still nil.

He's now up and running with gutsy, but from his reaction I think he'll be back to Windows as soon as possible. Sadly.

I don't think I was going anywhere with this but just had to rant a bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Common folk still have no idea what linux is

Most people don't care. As long as they can play flash games and send pictures to grandma they're pretty much happy.

Its not like linux has a multimillion dollar marketing department either. It pretty much word of mouth. Look how much apple spends on ads, and they're still barely pulling market share up.
    100 buckets of bits on the bus,
    100 buckets of bits,
    Take one down, short it to ground,
    FF buckets of bits on the bus.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I restore old hardware, install Linux and give it away.
    My best successes have been when the recipient has not had a computer before. No preconceived ideas about what to expect. Linux just works for them.
    If someone just wants to run Windows there is little hope in my experience. it's their loss, unfortunately.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exactly...I still know people who think Internet Explorer is "The Internet"

I'm always saying "No, the internet CAN'T crash...it's just Internet Explorer! It's rubbish, use Firefox"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Joeb454 View Post
    Exactly...I still know people who think Internet Explorer is "The Internet"

I'm always saying "No, the internet CAN'T crash...it's just Internet Explorer! It's rubbish, use Firefox"
    In that case, they're not asking for a sales pitch. As much as it hurts to do, I'd just say fix their IE, and let them have at it.

Telling them the difference between the Internet and IE is no harm though, and if they want to be stubborn then they deserve their woes with IE.
    The views expressed in this post belong to Tristam Green and do not represent the views of any other entity, foreign or domestic, as long as you both shall live, Amen.
    OMG! Cheesecake! | Fuduntu - catch the fever!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Whiffle View Post
    Most people don't care. As long as they can play flash games and send pictures to grandma they're pretty much happy.

Its not like linux has a multimillion dollar marketing department either. It pretty much word of mouth. Look how much apple spends on ads, and they're still barely pulling market share up.
    This is very true, and pretty much all my mum uses the PC at home for I'm just glad I got in there before windows did

The most worrying part about windows market share is that they cut out the whole marketing to customers part and play straight to the manufactures. How can even apple compeate with that. I can barely remember the last time I saw a major windows marketing campaign (I do vaguely remember a windows 95 one). It just makes the market very hostile to anything not windows, I still have problems getting games to work and god forbid I can get the 360 gamepad working properly (okay bad example ).

Beans
    Distro

I would have just told the guy I don't have a Windows CD, and sent him on his way.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

The problem is that there is still a lack of education in the schools of the 21 century regarding computers, information, and technology. Schools should only teach free software, simply because it guarantees the ability to study and modify. In lieu of that, all software should at least get equal mention, but it rarely does.
    Last edited by k2t0f12d; February 13th, 2008 at 12:16 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    I would have just told the guy I don't have a Windows CD, and sent him on his way.
    Why would you do that?
    Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo e6600; ASUS P5N-E SLI; GeForce 7600GT; 2 GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
    Ubuntu Feisty 7.06 and Window XP

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4cedOut View Post
    Why would you do that?
    Well, rumour88 installed Ubuntu on his computer without the guy fully understanding what was going on, and look what happened. He's unhappy with it. Some people just like Windows.

Actually, if it happened to me, I'd pull out one of my Windows disks that I do have and I'd fix it for him.

I love Ubuntu for myself, but I also know that realistically it isn't for everyone.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast