Thread: [SOLVED] Changing optimization level in an unfamiliar Makefile

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

[SOLVED] Changing optimization level in an unfamiliar Makefile

Hey, guys.

I'm trying to do some C development using the Eclipse CDT. I'm modifying a Makefile project that someone else wrote, and it mostly works fine (builds, runs, in Eclipse without any problems). The only issue is when I try to debug: the Makefile builds it with -O2 optimization so that when I run the debugger, things aren't quite right. Some variables have evidently been optimized out of existance, line numbers are slightly off in some places, and other oddities. The solution to this problem is obviously to set -O0 but I'm having some trouble doing that.

The Makefiles I've used in the past would specify a variable up top like
    Code:
    DEBUG="O2"
    , and then it would call
    Code:
    $CC -$DEBUG
    . This is easy to deal with. However, the Makefile I'm working with now just has lines like:
    Code:
    gnushogi_compile:
    	-cd $(GNUSHOGIDIR); $(MAKE) gnushogi
    I'm guessing that the $(MAKE) variable somehow encodes things like optimization levels, but I have no idea where I'd go to change it.

I tried Google'ing $(MAKE) but Google doesn't do special characters so it just searched for "make" and obviously that's not very productive...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    If your problem has been solved, please mark the threas as [SOLVED]. This helps people with the same problem know which threads to check out when they do a search on their issue many days later

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Changing optimization level in an unfamiliar Makefile

Oh, wow, I'm such a loser. It just calls make on the Makefile in the given subdirectory. THAT Makefile has a regular format that I'm familiar with. I just have to change that.

I should have noticed this an hour ago; I feel silly. Thanks anyway, guys!
    If your problem has been solved, please mark the threas as [SOLVED]. This helps people with the same problem know which threads to check out when they do a search on their issue many days later