Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: asus EEE pc

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: asus EEE pc

Quote Originally Posted by Incense View Post
    Those of you who installed Ubuntu on the EEE, is there really a compelling reason to use Ubuntu, rather then the os it came with other then "because you can"? I've heard great things about the interface on the factory install, and I would think that modified IceWM would run faster then anything gnome or even KDE based. Just wondering.
    Because different people have different tastes ? If you like the default thing, that's fine. I don't.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

many thanks to all who responded. now another question, are upgrades installed like ubuntu via update manager? is open office installed? firefox?
    i am in the verge if getting my credit card out......... who is the recommended re-seller?

many thanks

If you havent guessed im a ubuntu user and have completly left windows behind with no regrets
    newbemac

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

OpenOffice and Firefox are both installed by default on the default OS. It does have an update manager, which functions somewhat like Ubuntu's. The repository on the original OS is a little small, but you can expand it if you need to. The wiki at this site is very good for answering any other questions you might have.

Beans

I bought one, I love it.. but running low on cash so I'm selling it.

Anyone interested?

eeePC 4G Surf (no webcam)
    2gb USB disk
    Travel Mouse
    $350

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by HymnToLife View Post
    Because different people have different tastes ? If you like the default thing, that's fine. I don't.
    I can understand the taste thing, I was just wondering if Ubuntu offered any kind of advantage over the default desktop. IE software selection, speed etc...
    Don't Panic!
    Practice safe text. Never run a command unless you know exactly what it is going to do.
    Ubuntu User #1132
    Linux User #417929

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Originally Posted by Incense
    Those of you who installed Ubuntu on the EEE, is there really a compelling reason to use Ubuntu, rather then the os it came with other then "because you can"? I've heard great things about the interface on the factory install, and I would think that modified IceWM would run faster then anything gnome or even KDE based. Just wondering.
    I'm running Ubuntu 7.10, which does recognize the 2 gig of memory installed (dirt cheap). I believe the original OS only sees 1 gig.

I love the machine, ,BTW.

Bill

Beans

Hi, Just got EeePC & having trouble with wireless networking. Set it up, found network (apple airport) but says in status, "pending". Has done for about an hour. Simple cures please, not 2 tech savvy.

Beans

Hmm, the simple cure is to replace the apple airport with something standard...

BTW, I just got virtualbox running on mine with Windows XP in there, just for the heck of it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'm hoping to get my hands on one of these this week. My buddy's got one and loves it. Loves the portability of it. He's a professor and usually carries a 10 pound laptop case. Now he's down to 2 pounds for the eeepc. I also have to check with him, but I think he also has OSX running on it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12