Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on two Windows games.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question on two Windows games.

Does Doom 3 and Quake 4 work in Linux. Do id software have some kind of patch to get them working? Please don't tell me to install Wine, it's a piece of shite.

Although I have a copy of Windows XP running in VMware. Would I be able to play the games in that?

My machine spec is:

Core 2 Duo 2.33, 2gig Ram, nVidia 512mb card. Intel Chipset Motherboard.

OS Ubuntu Linux 7.10 Gnome.
    "We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts."

Buddha The Dhammapada

Beans

Re: Question on two Windows games.

http://www.liflg.org/?catid=6&gameid=48 doom 3 native installer

There's a quake 4 native installer included with wine-doors.
    http://www.wine-doors.org/wordpress/
    That particular entry DOESN'T use wine, so I'm not sure why they did it, but it's there.

And no, you can't play 3d games with VMWare because it does not use your "real" video card, it uses a simulated video card, among other reasons. They are working on getting such working, and last I heard some very minor old 3d games worked if you know how to set up that stuff, but certainly nothing new, and especially nothing so heavy as doom or q4.

That said, I seriously disagree. Wine is amazing. Especially when you understand just how difficult what it tries to achieve is and how well it does it, even if its not near perfect. Every release gets better.
    Last edited by FrozenFox; February 11th, 2008 at 03:13 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenFox View Post
    That said, I seriously disagree. Wine is amazing. Especially when you understand just how difficult what it tries to achieve is and how well it does it, even if its not near perfect. Every release gets better.
    How can Wine get any better when it amounts to catching a moving train? Please share some enlightenment with us.

Beans

That's a pretty ridiculous comparison, and the "please enlighten us" was entirely unnecessary.

Windows may be "constantly changing", but wine is doing a pretty decent job of rebuilding the parts of it that are constantly used and hardly changed from release to release -- that is, most of the core of the system. The 'train' moves 10 feet per year. Just look at some of the games it can run to some/decent degrees for chrissake, they aren't really that old -- like call of duty 4, released in very late 2007! It may be eternally playing the catch-up game, but it really doesn't take that long for wine to tag behind in many areas, and it only gets more accurate and compatible with every release.. the negativity i'm getting the impression of is seriously unwarranted.

http://www.winehq.org/site/myths#catch_up

Please keep an open mind. Not everything is perfect in the land of the free OS, but I think wine does a damn good thankless job towards filling in the gaps even on the newest stuff around despite imperfection.
    Last edited by FrozenFox; February 12th, 2008 at 01:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenFox View Post

Please keep an open mind. Not everything is perfect in the land of the free OS, but I think wine does a damn good thankless job towards filling in the gaps even on the newest stuff around despite imperfection.
    The same can be said for non free OS's. Probably with the exception of Mac OSX which is damn near perfect.
    "We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts."

Buddha The Dhammapada

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

To be honest, the top three OS's so far are:

1. Windows (XP / Vista)
    2. Mac OS X
    3. Ubuntu
    ----------
    4. Fedora Core
    5. Suse
    6. Mandriva
    7. Red Hat
    8. CentOS
    9. Gentoo
    10. TinyLinux

Correct me at any time, but since Ubuntu has gained quite a fair share of attention from Dell owners... that's the only reason it's ranked at 3.

I think if Microsoft opens the source to DirectX a little more, and Ubuntu was able to integrate it greatly into itself.. it'd surely have a great advantage over Windows. That'd let gamers such as myself, more to work with in linux.

Developers could say, "As long as the OS supports DirectX [x] (where [x] is the version number) the game will work. Here's the installer script for the most popular distro's and here's a compile script for those who don't have the popular ones."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dudeofthedead View Post
    How can Wine get any better when it amounts to catching a moving train? Please share some enlightenment with us.
    First of it's not like catching a moving train for the simple reason MS makes 99% of their stuff backward compatible = if you get one thing to work there is a pretty low risk that an MS update will break it totally, that is also one of the reasons linux can't take for ex. the gaming market yet, Linux has no such standards that work on all dists and one thing that works on one version of Ubuntu might break the next due to package updates that the old program can't handle and so on.
    And just the wine project itself is prof of that, they are catching up rapidly and a lot of games using dx9 are now playable that wasn't just a few months ago

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chrispche View Post
    The same can be said for non free OS's. Probably with the exception of Mac OSX which is damn near perfect.
    I never said there was anything wrong with a mac, aside from the horror stories I've heard about leopard's stability from mac enthusiasts. I want to buy a mac laptop at some point so that I may be knowledgeable 3-fold ;P Or even try out solaris and/or freebsd to make it 4-5-fold

I didn't mean to imply windows was terrible either (though I won't lie, I really don't enjoy using it, hehe). It just doesn't change as much as some people like to suggest in terms of wine never catching up, and even the changes that are huge are not too difficult or slow to make up for with wine's setup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelLerch View Post

I think if Microsoft opens the source to DirectX a little more, and Ubuntu was able to integrate it greatly into itself.. it'd surely have a great advantage over Windows. That'd let gamers such as myself, more to work with in linux.
    There's your answer highlighted in bold

MS Won't open the source to DX, because it'd allow Linux an advantage.

Beans

It was meant to be infuriating. There's nothing wrong with Wine doing a ketchup job, but sometimes I just think that, maybe it's not worth the hassle after all. I mean, if you really want to play Windows games that bad, then why not keep a Windows partition instead?

There's your answer highlighted in bold

MS Won't open the source to DX, because it'd allow Linux an advantage.
    Wasn't Microsoft very recently forced to give away some of their DX secrets, for (yet again) playing unfair? It was written that they should from now on facilitate ports to other platforms. Or something like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast