Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: webcam support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: webcam support

Quote Originally Posted by Bezmotivnik View Post
    It's improving, but it's still poor.

In 5.04 I couldn't get webcams to work. Now in 6.10 they work, but wierdness still pops up -- like the smaller picture option not showing a smaller picture but rather the upper-left quarter of the large picture. Pretty funny.

Not that anyone wants to look at or IM me anyway, but you never know, someday I may actually have a friend somewhere!
    LOL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Kopete does work properly with my webcam while amsn doesn't (I haven't tested it yet but someone else has the same one).

Beans

How did you get your webcam to work? I first downloaded easycam2 and tried that but got "Dependency is not satisfiable: camorama"

I then tried to download camorama and install it but of course I got "Dependency blah blah blah bonobo-activation"

So I went and downloaded and installed easycam 1.35. That installed but when I try to run it as root I get "n: creating symbolic link `/lib/modules/2.6.15-26-386/build/linux-headers-2.6.15-26-386' to `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-26-386': File exists
    Failed to fetch http://blognux.free.fr.debian/dists/...le/Release.gpg Could not resolve 'blognux.free.fr.debian'
    Failed to fetch http://blognux.free.fr.debian/dists/...86/Packages.gz Could not resolve 'blognux.free.fr.debian'
    E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    /usr/bin/easycam: line 88: /root/Desktop/easycam: No such file or directory
    /usr/bin/easycam: line 89: /root/Desktop/easycam: No such file or directory
    /usr/bin/easycam: line 90: /root/Desktop/easycam: No such file or directory
    /usr/bin/easycam: line 91: /root/Desktop/easycam: No such file or directory
    chown: cannot access `/root/Desktop/easycam': No such file or directory
    chmod: cannot access `/root/Desktop/easycam': No such file or directory"

When I run as a normal user I get

"ln: creating symbolic link `/lib/modules/2.6.15-26-386/build/linux-headers-2.6.15-26-386' to `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-26-386': File exists
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the list directory
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?"

It finds the camera, but it just doesn't run.

Beans

sorry to bump an old thread but i know people are still looking for an im for linux with webcam support

i found one today called qnext. www.qnext.com
    its in java n the only thing is u need a qnext account.
    basically u download it and stuff and u make an account its really quite fast acctually n u can add accounts for msn, yahoo, aim, icq jabber. but u can only video conference with someone thats got a qnext account.

i havent acctually tested out the webcam bc i ant get mine to work. i tried the sound out today n my bf could hear me clearly but the sound comin back from him was hard to understand bc it kept going away n comin back. itd be good to have somene else try it out too. i know my connection is bad n im having problems with drivers on my comp.

hope that helps

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nyxtwilight View Post
    sorry to bump an old thread but i know people are still looking for an im for linux with webcam support

i found one today called qnext. www.qnext.com
    its in java n the only thing is u need a qnext account.
    basically u download it and stuff and u make an account its really quite fast acctually n u can add accounts for msn, yahoo, aim, icq jabber. but u can only video conference with someone thats got a qnext account.

i havent acctually tested out the webcam bc i ant get mine to work. i tried the sound out today n my bf could hear me clearly but the sound comin back from him was hard to understand bc it kept going away n comin back. itd be good to have somene else try it out too. i know my connection is bad n im having problems with drivers on my comp.

hope that helps
    Recently the Linux kernel has added much webcam support:

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquir...35-usb-webcams
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12