Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Browser based games, must I learn Java?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Browser based games, must I learn Java?

I've recently had an interest in browser based games, like all the flash games you see on various sites I'm sure everyone visits when they're bored. Now I've been playing around with game design in Python, but in researching it I've discovered there's really no decent way to use Python alone in creating these games.

Everywhere I read says use Java, but to be honest I spent some time with Java and I hate it. Is there any other good language, possibly like Python, that can be used to create these games? Or am I just SOL without Java?

EDIT: Was also not at all sure whether to place this in this section or the programming one, so I apologize if I picked wrong.
    Last edited by Neoncamouflage; September 6th, 2011 at 08:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Browser based games, must I learn Java?

Hahaha, I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't get a particularly fuzzy feeling from Java. It just sorta feels dirty. That said, I'd point you towards HTML5/Javascript development.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I had always kind of lumped Javascript in with Java, assumed it was just a simpler version of it, after a little research it seems they're two vastly different languages. I may check it out, thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Neoncamouflage View Post
    I had always kind of lumped Javascript in with Java, assumed it was just a simpler version of it, after a little research it seems they're two vastly different languages. I may check it out, thanks.
    Oh heavens no, they are quite different. That's funny though, I used to lump them together when I was a kid.

Let me know if you've got any questions! I'd direct you to http://www.chromeexperiments.com/ -- it has some pretty cool Javascript examples.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Neoncamouflage View Post
    It's the name, just hearing javascript you (well I at least) think of a watered-down script version of regular java.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans

There are much better options, IMHO, if you don't care about having your game work on some mobile devices. Namely, Panda3D - a complete FOSS Python game engine (that's used by Disney and CMU) has a web plugin available for it. Considering just how much more powerful Panda is over flat HTML5 + Javascript (not to mention it lets you use hardware-accelerated 3D graphics in the browser), I think it's the better choice.
    There are 10 different kinds of people:
    Those who understand binary numbers
    Those who don't
    Free/open-source game development kit: http://openblox.sourceforge.net

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DangerOnTheRanger View Post
    Considering just how much more powerful Panda is over flat HTML5 + Javascript (not to mention it lets you use hardware-accelerated 3D graphics in the browser), I think it's the better choice.
    I don't disagree (I had never heard of Panda3D before now), but you can get hardware acceleration from Javascript too using WebGL: http://www.chromeexperiments.com/webgl

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon11 View Post
    I don't disagree (I had never heard of Panda3D before now), but you can get hardware acceleration from Javascript too using WebGL: http://www.chromeexperiments.com/webgl
    Panda's hardware acceleration works even on browsers that don't support WebGL, most notably Firefox <= 3.6 and Internet Explorer.
    There are 10 different kinds of people:
    Those who understand binary numbers
    Those who don't
    Free/open-source game development kit: http://openblox.sourceforge.net

Beans
    Hidden!

I would recommend JavaScript/HTML5. JavaScript is very easy to learn, especially if you are familiar with languages like PHP/Python/etc..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DangerOnTheRanger View Post
    Panda's hardware acceleration works even on browsers that don't support WebGL, most notably Firefox <= 3.6 and Internet Explorer.
    But Firefox is going to be on version 15 in a couple months!

Panda does look rather interesting though.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast