Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Replace Nautilus with PCMan (4 Steps, No Fuss).

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Replace Nautilus with PCMan (4 Steps, No Fuss).

using Thunar right now to replace nautilus. am able to do mass rename and moving GB's of data doesn't kill my CPU cycles. up to 65% CPU transferring files from USB external to RAID5 is not cool. Thunar does it and doesn't go over 15%. Would like it if Thunar had tabs tho, and have a rough MB/s listing when moving files.

Beans

Hi, real simple question.

I have the thumbnail limit set to the default 1024kb but I am not seeing any.

I can't find any info on this particular problem.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Any update on this for Lucid 10.04? There is no "default.session" on my system at all, so I can't follow all the steps in the second post.

Or should I just go to the Configuration Editor -> Desktop -> Gnome -> Session -> required_components -> and change 'nautilus' to 'pcmanfm' ?

Devi

Beans
    Hidden!

Also requesting changes needed to make this tutorial work with Lucid.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gsiliceo View Post
    Also requesting changes needed to make this tutorial work with Lucid.
    Well you want to start by getting the latest version of PCManFM. The one in the Lucid Repos is something like 0.5. The newest one is 0.9.7 which has been rewritten and is way better.

You can do this by adding the Lubuntu repository: https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop/+archive/ppa

You could just use the terminal and type:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lubuntu-desktop/ppa

sudo apt-get update
    Next, install PCManFM2 from Synaptic. This will delete the old version as well.

Then follow the first to posts here (as much as you can). And that will get you pretty close to full replacement.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Devi 710 View Post
    Well you want to start by getting the latest version of PCManFM. The one in the Lucid Repos is something like 0.5. The newest one is 0.9.7 which has been rewritten and is way better.

You can do this by adding the Lubuntu repository: https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop/+archive/ppa

You could just use the terminal and type:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lubuntu-desktop/ppa

sudo apt-get update
    Next, install PCManFM2 from Synaptic. This will delete the old version as well.

Then follow the first to posts here (as much as you can). And that will get you pretty close to full replacement.
    aww..very nice. thanks. they have REALLY improved that since last time i used pcmanfm. thanks for the heads up

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fooey View Post
    aww..very nice. thanks. they have REALLY improved that since last time i used pcmanfm. thanks for the heads up
    No problem. Now to figure out how to completely remove nautilus and get pcmanfm to write the desktop and mount drives to the desktop...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Devi 710 View Post
    No problem. Now to figure out how to completely remove nautilus and get pcmanfm to write the desktop and mount drives to the desktop...
    I don't use pacmanfm myself, but I'll help per your request.
    I've made a post about how to make some program be the default file manager, including when opening something inside Firefox (which doesn't use the system default file manager):
    http://my.opera.com/Asrail/blog/open...ions-on-ubuntu

the key is you can always use another desktop entry instead of changing the nautilus's desktop entries or using an symbolic linc. Making it using the mimeinfo.cache, which can be edited on a per user basis, will allow to some user replace nautilus with pacmanfm while another user uses nautilus.

You can try that approach, but that won't help in cases nautilus is called directly from another program.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by asrail View Post
    I don't use pacmanfm myself, but I'll help per your request.
    I've made a post about how to make some program be the default file manager, including when opening something inside Firefox (which doesn't use the system default file manager):
    http://my.opera.com/Asrail/blog/open...ions-on-ubuntu

the key is you can always use another desktop entry instead of changing the nautilus's desktop entries or using an symbolic linc. Making it using the mimeinfo.cache, which can be edited on a per user basis, will allow to some user replace nautilus with pacmanfm while another user uses nautilus.

You can try that approach, but that won't help in cases nautilus is called directly from another program.
    Thanks for the info. Any help is great.

Though I am not sure how to proceed.There is a file called pcmanfm.desktop, but it's in /usr/share/app-install/desktop, nowhere else. Should I copy it into /usr/share/applications/ and change the MimeType line?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What about 12.04?
    Intel Core2Duo 2.20 GHz || 4 GB DDR3 RAM
    nVidia GT 240M 1 GB || 320 GB SATA Hard Disk

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast