Thread: Need help boosting FPS in WOW

Beans

Need help boosting FPS in WOW

Recently I have gotten excited about linux again after watching soem videos on YouTube of people playing WoW with Linux. After seeing the awsome desktop effects of Ubuntu I know this was the distro for me.

My last venture into the Linux world was when Cedega first came out under its original name (i completly forget what it was called, lol) I hung is there for a few months but just called it quits since getting ati drivers to work sucked.

It looks like ATI still sucks, but its better then before so here I am to give it another try.

Over the last 2 days I installed Ubuntu 7.10 flawlessly, ATI drivers installed without any problems. I tried using Virtualbox but had a hell of a time getting the thing to see my cdrom so I threw in the towel. Wine installed and configured flawlessly.

So here I am, trying to get WoW to be worth playing. The game installed flawlessly in Wine. I had to make some config changes to make the game go full screen and all that fun still. I did the opengl regestry tweak and that was a great boost in FPS. (from 3 to 11)

One thing I have not done yet it to try and make changed to any ATI settings, if you can even do that. And even though the game is playable at its current fps, there are some icons and such that dont look right. There is also a grid on the ground, and on the world map.

What tweaks are available to be made to the ATI settings? Can I allocate more ram to Wine and WoW? I have cxome this far pretty much trouble free. I dont see any reason why it would be impossible to make the game run at an enjoyable framerate.

I'm looking forward to any sudjestions you all may have.

Here is a SS of WoW as it runs now
    Last edited by Linux Gabe; February 9th, 2008 at 07:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Need help boosting FPS in WOW

You can try some of the things here:
    http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys

mainly the stuff under directx or opengl
    It's funny to think how underdeveloped the world is, really makes it easier for a developer to get ahead.

Linux User: #461968