Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Domain Name

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Domain Name

A question was raised in the meeting about registering a domain name for the LoCo. Someone mentioned that it had been discussed at a previous time, but the team decided to focus on content for the moment.

Is this something we want to pursue? I don't mind spending a few bucks to register it. If it is something we want to do, any suggestions as to what it should be?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Domain Name

Since registration is really cheap, and we already have space/hosting donated by Mike I think we should. What the actual domain should be...something relevant and very easy to remember, both ubuntula.com and ubuntu-la.com are avail, if thats the way we decide to go.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Wouldn't a .org address be more relevant?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Sure, although the intended uses for the TLD's aren't really what they are used for anymore.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What are the rules about habint "Ubuntu" in the domain? I've noticed other teams were not using ubuntu?

-R2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

It looks like we'll need to get a license to use Ubuntu in a domain name. I don't see it being a problem unless they want us to wait until we're an officially recognized/approved LoCo.

I think we should decide on the domain name we'd like to use and then have someone start the process of getting the trademark license.

Should we use -la or -louisiana? I always think people will assume Los Angeles when using la on things. What about following the syntax of our irc channel? ubuntu-us-la.org? What do other LoCos have as their domain name?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by wharp View Post
    It looks like we'll need to get a license to use Ubuntu in a domain name. I don't see it being a problem unless they want us to wait until we're an officially recognized/approved LoCo.
    Actually, I don't think that we do:

Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntu Trademark Policy
    Permitted Use

Certain usages of the Trademarks are fine and no specific permission from us is needed.

Community Advocacy. Ubuntu is built by, and largely for, its community. We share access to the Trademarks with the entire community for the purposes of discussion, development and advocacy.
    I think that we are ok, under this stipulation.

Michael
    Michael Ramm, GSEC
    The 1-Man IT Department | Ubuntu User #16666 | Linux User #451972
    AlabamaTeam LoCo: Forums | Wiki | Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I think that might be irrelevant. We have been trying to follow other LoCo teams as far as consistency is concerned. I know there were opinions for and against this, but I believe we would have the option of using http://louisiana.ubuntu-us.org/.

But even if we decide against that and choose a different name I would prefer to err on the side of caution and check before registering a domain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I still don't see how its consistant when only 4 teams have that style according to ubuntu-us.org. If that is the plan for all the states, then I agree, but I haven't seen anything like that. So, if we can make it as short, rememberable and relavent as possible I think that would be better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast