Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Thoughts on OS X vs. Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Thoughts on OS X vs. Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by metallicamaster3 View Post
    They provide the utility because the issue does exist. Simple as that. Nothing's perfect. If you think OS X sucks because of little stuff like this, then I'm surprised you even thought of putting Linux on your machines.
    The problem with this statement is that permissions are a very low level function and foundation of the OS. By OSX confusing this speaks of its kernel, NOT compatibility issues, which, in reality, is the only real weakness of Linux and all other free, open-source POSIX OSs.

Linux works great when you're satisfied with the software you get, and you use compatible hardware with it - how is this any different than what you get with OSX - $$$ <--- one $ isn't enough to describe the money.

The statement "You get what you pay for" is only true with tangible objects. Software, like services, are best when volunteers perform them.

OSX has it's advantages, and I earnestly believe that Apple would have been long gone had they not adapted the BSD kernel. OS 9 was not so great lol.

I love Unix in general. It has an infinite number of advantages over the "other OS", but I can't deny the freedom of open source and free.

I run Linux on anything that I can - it is what it was made for after all.

Oh and BSD is by far the most stable kernel, but it all falls back on the compatibility issue.
    Last edited by t3hi3x; February 26th, 2008 at 05:32 AM. Reason: typos :(
    We must be the change we wish to see - Gandhi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by metallicamaster3 View Post
    They provide the utility because the issue does exist. Simple as that. Nothing's perfect. If you think OS X sucks because of little stuff like this, then I'm surprised you even thought of putting Linux on your machines.
    If this issue is "little stuff", then why hasn't Apple fixed it already?

I was using this as a good example of OS X being nowhere near as stable as a BSD. Projects like FreeBSD are well-known for aiming at stability.

After all, Windows doesn't suck for one huge reason. It sucks for a huge bunch of little issues.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

So, I have to ask, what is wrong with people liking things that you don't?

Many are happy on Windows believe it or not!

I don't want to use Windows, but I don't care if others want to, that is their choice.

Some of us use Linux, BSD's, Windows, Apple OS's, Solaris, which is great, we have so many choices, some are free, some are relatively expensive... The free one's are improving by the second, Windows just is, & OS X is improving all the time too. None of these systems are perfect & there are great systems for any budget.

Why is there a problem with this?

Do you think that there are happy Apple customers being ripped off?
    Last edited by handy; February 26th, 2008 at 10:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

OS 9 was not so great lol.
    LOL no. OS 9 was a nightmare. I don't miss that OS.
    http://dmg-hq.info || [GEN] -DmG-MM3*

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910