Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Reconfigure X with “dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg”

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HowTo: Reconfigure X with “dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg”

Quote Originally Posted by komputes View Post
    Doesn't solve lack of auto-configuration or user-interactive configuration.
    No, it doesn't, but there isn't anything we can do about that except wait for better interfaces (Gutsy was a major improvement, hopefully Hardy will be, too).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have(had) UBUNTU running in a virtual drive with WindowsXP as a host. I tried this procedure to get my UBUNTU screen size correct, although When I closed nothing seemed to have changed - all so I thought.

When next I started up windows, it would not boot, not even in safe mode. I will use by rescue disk to save all my data, including my Ubuntu files, but it seems my little experiment to share Linux and Windows on one PC is over.

My new plan is to run XBUNTU on an old PC I have , That way I will keep my Wife and kids off my back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Reconfiguring X won't screw up your windows, that had to have been something else.
    You can try setting up a dual boot rather than using a VM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by komputes View Post
    What I experienced is that this command skipped right over the part where it asks questions about the video driver and monitor refresh rates etc. How do I get to that screen?
    i've been having the exact same problem! this is god awful -- i can't deal with 800x600. and since xorgconfig isn't packaged into ubuntu, i can't fall back on that either.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ynnhoj View Post
    i've been having the exact same problem! this is god awful -- i can't deal with 800x600. and since xorgconfig isn't packaged into ubuntu, i can't fall back on that either.
    First check - you're NOT using Hardy Heron, right? I found recently that this method does not work with Hardy, so I need to update my original post to note that (thanks for the reminder). The version of X in Hardy relies on more auto-detection than xorg.conf, which can be convenient if it works, but annoying if you have problems.
    Second, you're NOT using the -phigh flag, right? Using that forces it to autodetect.
    You should be starting a new thread to troubleshoot this, but since you're already here, what is your video card? Also post your xorg.conf
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket2DMn View Post
    First check - you're NOT using Hardy Heron, right? I found recently that this method does not work with Hardy, so I need to update my original post to note that (thanks for the reminder). The version of X in Hardy relies on more auto-detection than xorg.conf, which can be convenient if it works, but annoying if you have problems.
    Second, you're NOT using the -phigh flag, right? Using that forces it to autodetect.
    You should be starting a new thread to troubleshoot this, but since you're already here, what is your video card? Also post your xorg.conf
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    i have an onboard geforce2 card; in my experience, it doesn't play nice with the nvidia driver, so i normally use the more generic nv driver ('xf86-video-nv').

i didn't realize that hardy relied so heavily on auto-detection as to deny a user access to configuring things themselves (aside from writing yer own xorg.conf). if my only option is to type up an xorg.conf file myself, i'll probably just install arch again. i thought i'd see how ubuntu's come along since i last used it (edgy, i think) and this was a bit of an unpleasant surprise. note: i've always had problems with ubuntu figuring out my screen resolution on this machine, but that was fine since up until now it's been easy to fix.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, Hardy is still Testing for a few more weeks though, hopefully X will be a little better when they release Hardy as stable in April (I should hope so, it's an LTS release). I found the manually editing xorg.conf didn't work very well in Hardy either.
    I will be sure to find out more details about working with X in Hardy since I help a lot of users troubleshoot X.

Beans

i appreciate the help -- i just can't believe the doing a reconfig on xorg, which used to be so simple, has become so problematic! ah well, hopefully this is just a bug which will be fixed in time for the release..?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Doubtful, I think that is the direction they are trying to go with X, though I wish they would have an override option for those of us with cards that have less support
    If I get around to writing a HowTo for doing this in Hardy, I will post a link from this thread, but until then, we're stuck.

Beans

ynnhoj, I would ask you to please voice your opinion on the bug which I have created concerning this issue. Your opinion is appreciated. I really hope we can make them change this before the final Hardy comes out 28 days from now.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rg/+bug/207409

As well, since in your case you do get 800x600 access to GDM, please try running displayconfig-gtk as a user-interactive method for configuring xorg.conf
    My Top Bugs - Launchpad Profile - Wiki Page

Appreciate what the severe effort of many converging wills has produced.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast