Thread: Wargames on Linux

Beans

Wargames on Linux

Does anyone here play any wargames on Linux? Lately I've been using the excellent VASSAL program to play board games, namely Memoir '44, Great Battles of Alexander, and A Victory Lost.

Another area which interests me more is running some computer wargames in Wine. I've had luck with Steel Panthers: World at War and Conquest of the Aegean (Though there's some graphical glitching and all the time acceleration settings only sort of work). While I don't think it qualifies as a wargame, Hearts of Iron 2 works as well. I'm trying to find my copy of Flashpoint Germany to see if it works, but I think I left it in Chicago.

I've heard Battlefront's Strategic Command 2 works well in wine (at least that's what it says in appdb). Has anyone tried any wargames in Linux/Wine? Share your favorites!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wargames on Linux

Battlefront's Dropteam is by far my most favorite war game. Its just as realistic as any of its other games, and is a native install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Slightly off topic but I just bought the old school Wargames (movie) on DVD and I'm gonna watch it tonight haha
    Dell Inspiron e1505 - 10.10/Windows 7
    HP Mini 1030NR - Jolicloud 1.2
    Follow me on Twitter!
    Ubuntu User # 19787 | Linux User #461129

Beans

Alright considering how many responses I got I'm not sure why I'm posting this but... I've tried both the Operational Art of War 3 and all the Decisive Battles series. They all work in wine! The DB games need Windows dll's, however.

Just, you know, sharing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by eljoeb View Post
    Does anyone here play any wargames on Linux? Lately I've been using the excellent VASSAL program to play board games, namely Memoir '44, Great Battles of Alexander, and A Victory Lost.

Another area which interests me more is running some computer wargames in Wine. I've had luck with Steel Panthers: World at War and Conquest of the Aegean (Though there's some graphical glitching and all the time acceleration settings only sort of work). While I don't think it qualifies as a wargame, Hearts of Iron 2 works as well. I'm trying to find my copy of Flashpoint Germany to see if it works, but I think I left it in Chicago.

I've heard Battlefront's Strategic Command 2 works well in wine (at least that's what it says in appdb). Has anyone tried any wargames in Linux/Wine? Share your favorites!
    there is no sourceforge for vassal ???
    http://linux.softpedia.com/get/GAMES...AL-32522.shtml

Beans

how to play ?

you can only load modules

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cartisdm View Post
    Slightly off topic but I just bought the old school Wargames (movie) on DVD and I'm gonna watch it tonight haha
    is there other movies like wargames, in the style, that might worth to see ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frenchn00b View Post
    how to play ?

you can only load modules
    You have to download modules for a game from vassal's website. It basically gives you the pieces to the game to play, which you then use to play with either someone else or solo.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by eljoeb View Post
    You have to download modules for a game from vassal's website. It basically gives you the pieces to the game to play, which you then use to play with either someone else or solo.
    that's bit complicate, they ll loose success with that I d say
    should be more automatic for windows-ers !

Beans

Eh? VASSAL is a Java app... it runs native in both Linux and Windows. Its an incredibly popular application for playing high complexity board games... for its audience it's just right.