Thread: VMware?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

VMware?

my friend told me i should check out VMware, but i was wondering if there was anything better and also how do this programs work.
    Sorry if this is a nuhb question, I'm new to ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: VMware?

Quote Originally Posted by slats View Post
    my friend told me i should check out VMware, but i was wondering if there was anything better and also how do this programs work.
    Sorry if this is a nuhb question, I'm new to ubuntu.
    This program, VMware, allows the computer user to create virtual machines inside both Linux and Windows hosts. It works as different Operational System installed inside another. Using Windows and VMware you can host Linux, DOS, Mac, etc. Using Linux and VMware you can also create "virtual machines" of any other different systems like Windows, Mac OS, DOS, and so on.
    Csat

Doubts? Check ->here<-

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

so would it be possible to run garage band which is a OS X program only on my ubuntu desktop computer?

Beans

so would it be possible to run garage band which is a OS X program only on my ubuntu desktop computer?
    I'm not sure how the native Linux VMware works, but I know the Windows version runs the guest operating systems in a multiple tabs on the VMware window.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Garage Band only runs on OS X. You have to use Apple hardware to get that going.

I know of no way to get that program to run under Linux or Windows. Those that wished to bought a Mac and either dual-booted Linux or ran Fusion or Parallels.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Look for vmware appliances =>here<= and you will see that different applications can be placed to work under vmware, doesn't matter if installed to a Windows or Linux hosts.
    Csat

Doubts? Check ->here<-

Beans
    Distro

Yes, but we are talking about Apple proprietary Garage Band. Has that been made into an Appliance and placed on VMware's web site? I don't think so. <smile>
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

damn
    where can i get vmware?
    is there a download on this site?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

VMware works excellent on XP. I installed Fedora Core 8 and it works great! I have not tried it in Linux yet though.

Beans
    Distro

Download site: vmware.com. At the same time get your free license number. You only have to do this once.

Extract the compressed file to your home. Go into the folder created and run install. The install file will run and everything will work with your kernel. As kernels are updated you will have to re-run the config file which is in /usr/bin.

Let us know how you are doing.