Page 310 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 210260300308309310311312320360410810 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,100 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I am an MCSE+I (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer + Internet/IT)

I'm done with windows, I will work on them, make a living from them, but as far as my home goes, I am using linux.. for the second time in my life, I find myself wanting to study the OS, instead of it being a burden.. the first time, was DOS (I still love dos, always will)

The problem is this: I do game sometimes (which I have found about every game will work with linux, when properly done), and the problem, I'm a musician.. and I use Ableton Live 6

It doesn't work yet under linux and I'm afraid I may have to either fork out a ton of dough on a Mac (which I might) or, go back to windows..

And yes, I have been using the alternitives, but they are just not as good, and Midi support... well, if someone can help me get my studio sync'd in Linux, I'll write a friggin song about you! I can't get a single midi device I own working, all but some slider controls (which I'm sure, I'm doing something wrong)

But, yes, for the time being, this is a Linux Only house..

Beans

I do .NET web development for work and have to use windows but for home and side projects I have completely switched to linux around Feb 08 on both my home desktop (XPS410) and laptop (XPS1530) both work flawlessly except I am having trouble setting up bluetooth on my laptop.

I took the time to learn (http://www.apress.com/book/view/1590595874) GIMP so I could stop using Adobe Fireworks/Photoshop for web design. I do my PHP development in Geany/Bluefish. For my ASP.NET side projects I usually use MonoDevelop/Geany/XPS for quick tweaks/tests but for big projects I still have to revert to Visual Studio which I run through VMWare Workstation. Plus I use the virtual Windows XP installation for testing sites in IE. I use Evolution to keep me on my toes and Google Notebook/Tomboy for keeping notes. I dont like mixing KDE apps with gnome apps so I am still searching for a stable Photo Managment applications but for the time being I can put up with F-Spots frequent crashes. Hopefully over time F-spot becomes stable. blueMarine (http://bluemarine.tidalwave.it/) seems like a good alternative. A good video editor would be a plus as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Still use XP for iTunes and gaming. iTunes is great for managing music and id3 tags and I'm loving COD4 right now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by derekge View Post
    Still use XP for iTunes and gaming. iTunes is great for managing music and id3 tags and I'm loving COD4 right now.
    Consider wine, both programs got pretty good scores in usability. (Except if you want to use iTunes with your iPod ofc.)

I am myself almost a 100% linux user, except at school, they use some damn annoying proxy thing that Firefox can't figure. So only able to use IE, ofc I could try to wine that aswell.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by derekge View Post
    I use Cedega for gaming, works fairly well (at least for World of Warcraft).

Beans

I now only use Linux. Ubuntu on my desktop, Linux Mint on my laptop (easy wireless).

I will never use Windows again, and will teach everyone I know about Linux and why I love it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I would love to make the switch, but so far I have been unable to get my scanner to work from Hardy & Ancestry.com freezes in just a few minutes with Hardy & Firefox 3b5. There is also not yet a Linux version of Legacy Family Tree.

I love Hardy, but my major objective in owning a computer is to facilitate doing the things I enjoy doing, and genealogy is one of my major things.

SOON, I hope.

Beans

When I started with ubuntu I thank was better use a dual boot with gutsy and xp, but two or three weeks after I switcched completly to Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Right now I'm dualbooting, but I would. The only thing holding me back is Photoshop CS3. I do graphic design as a hobby and I've finally taught myself a good variety of things. Also, I still play non-compatible games.

Beans

Hey! I'm using Kubuntu for 5 months, and very sattisfied! I havent seen win since those 5 months - and I'm glad

Page 310 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 210260300308309310311312320360410810 ... LastLast